CHAPTER 65: IMPROBABLE TEAM

'The law ain't never been a friend of mine

I would kill again to keep from doing time

You should never ever trust my kind

I'm a wanted man'

*SPENCER'S POV*

"Can you put your belt on?"

"I thought you'd be happy if I died? Didn't you try to kill me?" Blade cocked an eyebrow, a taunting smirk on his lips as if there was anything funny about someone trying to kill him. Well, there was surely, since he was still there to mock me, although it didn't mean I hadn't wished for his death.

"It's only for Dorothy. I don't think she would be happy if I came back without you."

"Ditto," he muttered under his breath while thankfully clicking his belt on.

Now, I could only hope he wouldn't drive too recklessly because I was already on edge, and Dorothy wasn't here to soothe my nerves.

Why had I even left her all alone? The pins and needles in my legs were already making me want to run back to her, but I knew it was the safest option because I didn't trust Blade to find ginger – and actually, I didn't trust him in general – while I trusted Dorothy completely.

Despite the knots of worry in my insides, I didn't doubt she was more than able to protect herself, especially with a gun in her hand. If she could hesitate to pull the trigger for herself, she would shoot a bullet straight to the heart of anyone trying to hurt an innocent life, and now, she had that innocent life inside her belly.

The prickling sensations climbed up to my chest upon that thought. Maybe it was myself that I didn't trust either. Of course, I was glad she had chosen to keep the baby, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I'd always pictured having a family with her, mini us running around, and even if this baby wasn't mine, as long as he or she had Dorothy's freckles and bright curls, I knew I would love him or her.

But what if I wasn't good enough to protect Dorothy and the baby? I could learn how to change diapers, prepare baby bottles, and even find a job to provide for them, yet steal for them? Stay undercover?

The closest I'd ever done to this had been when we'd been playing cops and robbers with Dorothy, and she'd always been the one playing the outlaw. So I had no idea what to do, especially in a game where our lives were at stake, and our opponent was Kenneth Thornton, who wasn't playing fair.

I feared he'd alerted the whole country, and not knowing what was waiting for us, I imagined the worst. I had a few hours to imagine the worst, as we'd agreed to go far enough to put the cops off our scent in case we got recognized, and the ride was long, awkward, and silent.

I preferred that to Blade's snide remarks, and it allowed me to plan my moves and regulate the hammerings of my heart. Yet when the car stopped, my heart rate was even more erratic, and my hands so shaky that it took me a moment to grab my things.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Blade was already halfway through the parking lot when I got out of the car, but his sharp glare over his shoulders easily reached me, like his loud curse words reached the few horrified housewives around.

"Shh! Do you want to get us caught?" I asked, though contrary to him, I waited to have joined him, and I whispered, my gaze carefully checking that the people's attention was going back to the daily offers.