CHAPTER 66: PRECIOUS SECRETS

I'm back! Did you miss me last week? I did miss you, and I wanna thank you for your patience because I know I can be a slow writer sometimes 😅

'I wanna do the right thing now

I know it's up to me somehow

I've lost my way'

"Push! Come on, harder!" Spencer's instructions were unwavering, like his gaze, focused on each millimeter of moving progress, and they only stopped when he took deep breaths. "Push hard–"

"What the fuck do you think I'm doing?! Eating pancakes?!" Blade snapped, he too breathing deeply, though it was through clenched teeth, the thin stream of air almost wheezing as Spencer retorted,

"Maybe, because it isn't moving much."

From my angle down, I had a great view of the small progress he was talking about and the long remaining meters the iron-heavy wood burner needed to be pushed through, but also of Spencer's bulging vein near his temple and Blade's tight jaw, both ready to pop at any second, and I took it as a sign to intervene.

"I can help if you want?"

I hadn't even lifted a finger when their wide eyes snapped to me. "No!"

It was incredible how each time they were becoming more and more in sync, and also louder. It was a good thing we didn't have neighbors, even though I still expected a family of woodchucks or an old hibernating bear to complain at our door one day.

However, at the moment, I was the only one grunting as I crossed my arms over my stomach, not needing to hear their usual arguments, since their stares at my baby bump were already saying it all. "Fine."

Yes, I had a baby bump now, and we were still in Grandpa's cabin in the woods. The few days we'd been supposed to stay here had turned into weeks, and then, months. Four months exactly, and my baby bump was barely showing behind my too-tight cardigan. But apparently, it was enough to not approach anything too heavy, according to Blade and Spencer. For this, they were agreeing at least... and I feared what it would be when I would be about to deliver. Well, by then, we would have to be out of those woods.

We'd agreed we couldn't stay here forever, and during those months, we'd even thought about something to solve this mess and make sure this baby was welcomed in a safe environment.

Knowing very well we could never tell the truth and what the possible sentences for murder and evasion from the police were in our state, the only possibility was pretending I hadn't killed Douglas, and since they had proof that I'd been in that courtyard that night, I would have to claim to be a simple witness of the murder. Then, I could say that the 'real murderer' had threatened us to keep silent. It sounded plausible, and the baby could even help our alibi for running away, as we could say I'd just found out I was pregnant when the police had come to arrest me, and we'd panicked.

It was a possible solution to prove ourselves innocent, yet it couldn't be called a plan because there were too many 'buts'.

But we would have to find a 'murderer' no taller than 5'2, who had no alibi for that night, and with a motive to kill Douglas. We would have to sacrifice an innocent person, which wasn't really sitting well with me, even if Blade kept repeating me 'no one was innocent', and we could find a criminal.

But Kenneth wouldn't be that easy to convince, anyway. He wouldn't settle for anything less than revenge, and his eyes, like his dead brother's, were on me.