CHAPTER 49: FOR DOROTHY

I wanna dedicate this chapter to @imduckedup because her comments on this story and on Law of Attraction just melted my heart this weekend 🥰🥺 So thank you for spamming my notifs and brightening my days 😘 I know you've not reached this chapter, so don't read!!! 

'Heard you're speaking like we made a truce

Haven't stolen your woman yet so show some gratitude

I found a real one

My life's a wicked view'

*BLADE'S POV*

BANG!

That was the deadliest sound I'd ever heard, and I'd heard many gunshots in my life. Yet it was the first time that my heart stopped to take in the deadly silence following, and everything flashed before my eyes; one month flashed until that moment I'd seen the girl with a gun in her hand at the shooting range.

It was so strong that I even forgot why I'd tried to kill the guy on the other side of the hallway, and for a second, we shared the same dread in our wide eyes before we both ran where the bang had come from, shoving each other in our race.

The last time I'd seen Dorothy, she'd had a gun in her hand, and as long as she had it, she should have been safe. Knowing how she shot, no one would have the chance to pull the trigger before she did.

Though it didn't slow my strides, nor the hammering of my heart, and I didn't breathe until I saw these flaming curls, my hands gripping the doorframe for support as my feet were skidding on the floor and my eyes took in her petite silhouette standing with the gun still in her hand.

"Baby, you okay?"

The only answer I got was another heart-stopping sound: faraway sirens, and while the adrenaline was pumping faster and faster in my veins, I did my best to approach her slowly, my gaze pinned on her knuckles turning white around the gun handle.

We didn't need another gunshot if the fuzz was in the area. So in a swift motion, I took the gun from her hand and reached for the other weapon before she could hurt herself, if she was gripping my knife as tightly. But her ex had it already.

"Did you...?" he asked the obvious, when it was echoing in the deafening silence and already filling the air with an unmistakable thickness: Death.

Okay, he probably wasn't used to that fella. That was why his large eyes kept traveling between Dorothy and wherever the aim of her gun had been pointed on the other side of the courtyard, while I didn't even throw the body a glance.

My gaze was only on Dorothy, running from her too-pale cheeks to her white shoes, passing by her chest, stomach, wrists, and every women's weak point in reflex, to make sure Death hadn't reached her in any way. But my fingers didn't follow like I would have usually done as my attention stopped on the dried drop of blood near her thumping jugular.

Death had almost touched her; I'd almost killed her. That bastard had been right, and in this whole scene, it was the tiny red stain that knocked my breath out.

– No, I'd talked too soon. There was worse when I met her eyes, and the striking green appeared empty, lacking all these infinite sparkles changing with her mood. They were numb and faraway, like she was, and it left me choking on whatever was left in my chest.

"I've killed him." Even her voice sounded like a faraway echo, almost covered by Spencer's steps as he rushed to the other side to check the body or prove her wrong.