Chapter Thirteen: Surf Competition

"You all can set your stuff down by the stairs, because we will choose rooms later." Parker showed us throughout the house starting at the staircase pointing at them as he spoke. "The kitchen is over here to the left, along with the living room on the right. And here's the beach. We had walked to the back of the house and Parker pulled open the screen doors. Laid out it front of us was a glorious beach. "Grab you surf boards girls, were going to have ourselves a little competition!"

I could see the rest of the team already scattered on the sand, waxing up their boards. We must have been the last ones to arrive. Before I knew it though, Cam had already started back out to the truck for our boards. By the time I had gotten outside, she had already unhooked the boards from the rope.

We got them down, and brought them around to the back of the house where the rest of the team was. "So how's this going to work?" I looked around, wondering how they planned to have this competition.

"Well I'm going to judge, and do we have any other volunteers?" Parker looked around the crowd hoping for someone willing to not surf.

"I'll do it!" Alayna raised her hand. "I didn't bring a board anyway so I don't really have a choice."

"Great I need one more person!" At first no one volunteered, and I sure wasn't because I planned to surf tonight. "Come on guys! Judging your friends is way more fun!" Still, no one raised their hands. "If no one volunteers I'll have to choose someone myself." It stayed silent, everyone wanting to get into the water. "Fine, Ciara your a judge. Everyone else out in the water, you get three waves! Make them good!"

"What why me?!" I was so upset! All I wanted to do was surf right now.

"Don't worry you will get a chance to surf for fun afterwards, but for now I need help judging so sit down." I stomped over to the lawn chair in between Parker and Alayna with my arms crossed in anger. Parker handed me a yellow note pad with everyone's names on it, but mine and Alayna's names were crossed off the list.

Sadie, Zach, James, and Sophia, all caught the first wave. Zach and James both fell off their boards leaving Sophia and Sadie to battle it out. Sophia fell off next, leaving Sadie all alone on the wave. She executed a few snips off the top of the wave, giving her great scores from the judges.

**********

With two more people left to ride one last wave, everyone else was on the beach. Cam and Lucas were both out in the water, waiting to see who would get the last perfect wave. Everyone else was cheering on their favorite opponent, waiting to see the outcome. Lucas was up by only one point, but Cam looked ready to dominate. A strong wave came up behind them, perfect to surf, and both of them got ready to ride. They both got up on their boards, and were successfully riding the wave. I was about to start scoring, but Cam yelled something over to Lucas, he went ghostly pail and fell into the water. Cam laughed, and took over the wave, she echoed some of the more simple moves of the other surfers, but then moved into the more difficult stuff.

Cam moved in and out of the tunnel, and also did a few jumps off the edge of the wave. By the end of it Cam of course had a perfect score from her judges. "First place, by a long shot Cam. Second is Lucas, and third is Sadie. The rest of you go practice while I give out the awards!" Cam set her board down in the sand and rung out her hair all over me.

"Hey!" I screamed at her, disliking the feeling of my shirt being wet.

"Suck it up, you are about to go into the water anyways!" She shot me a sly smile before heading over to Parker for her prize. I knew what she said was true, so I slipped off my shirt and shorts, reveling my light blue and green bikini. I heard a few whistles from the guys who stood at the edge of the water, so in return I flipped them off.