Chapter Eight: Monday Practice

My alarm clock rang in my ear, and the light from the sun barely peaked through my curtains. Monday had come, and I was not in the mood to go to school. I reached over and slammed my fist down on my blaring clock. I rolled out of bed, and my feet hit the floor with a thump. It took me about twenty minutes to change, brush my teeth and hair, pack my school and hockey bag, and do my school makeup.

I had on a pair of ripped jeans, my classic converse and a Capitols ice hockey t-shirt from last time I went to their game. I also left my hair down today instead of a bun which was rare, but I didn't have enough time to mess with it.

I ran down the stares and straight out the door, realizing I might be late to school. I sped to the parking lot of John Adams High, home of the falcons, and ran in through the front door. I glanced at my phone, noticing if I didn't get into my first class in thirty seconds, I would be late, again. I sprinted to my English classroom, and as soon as I got outside the door, I ran straight into some, landing on my butt on the floor.

"Hey, I'm sorry! I wasn't paying attention to where I was..." I was cut off by a deep familiar voice.

"Ciara, it's ok, calm down." I looked up to find that the voice belonged to Parker, who else. He stuck out his hand to help me off the ground, and this time I took it. As soon as I was on my feet Parker walked straight into class leaving me alone in the hallway.

"That was a close one Ms. Payne, next time I'll count you as absent!" My English teacher Mrs. Williams called out at me while I took a seat at my desk. Just my luck that I was the one to be yelled at and not Parker. Now that I had some time to think, my mind started to wonder back to Saturday night. Was Parker treating me any differently since then? I couldn't tell and I knew I was digging way to deep into all of this for my own good, so I chose to focus on English instead.

By lunch time I had gone through, English, Math, World Religions, and Physics, which added to a total of an hour and a half of homework already tonight. I prayed that it wouldn't escalate in my afternoon classes, but my chances were going to be slim. At least lunch didn't give homework and I could just go and relax.

I grabbed my lunch from my locker and headed to the cafeteria to find Cam. I looked around, but didn't see her at our usual table with the rest of the team. Instead she was sitting in between Lucas and Parker at the center table, laughing at some joke one of the two boys had said.

"Hey Cam!" They all stopped laughing as I sat down across from them at the table with my lunch, but Cameron kept the smile on her face.

"Hey Ciara! How was Physics today?" Cam seemed very applied to our new conversation while the two guys just seemed a little annoyed that their good time had ended.

"You know, same old math problems. To much complicated motion stuff." Parker nodded in agreement, while Cam and Lucas looked upset at our attitudes.

"What?" Lucas and Cam both stated with shock at the same moment.

"Jinks, you owe me a soda!" Cam quickly yelled that before continuing our conversation. "I don't know what everyone has against Math and Physics, but they are the easiest subjects ever."

"I'm sorry, but I think your mistaking them for English and History!" Parker nodded in agreement. Wow I didn't know we actually had something in common other than hockey.

"No we aren't, Math is so easy. I just don't understand how other people can't just pick up the concept!" Lucas was now the one arguing for their side of the stupid conversation.

"Are we really about to go into a huge argument about Math? Cause I didn't realize I was now part of debate club." Parker finished his rant and took a huge bite of his turkey and cheese sandwich with tomato and lettuce.