I Declare Myself as an Effing Problem

I follow Dad up to his workshop. I still can't believe he did this. I took him specifically not to and yet he does it anyway. Typical. He doesn't listen to Pepper. He doesn't listen to Happy. He most certainly does not listen to me. That's fine though. Dad only does what he thinks is best for everyone he cares about. I'm just fortunate to fall into that category.

When we enter the workshop, I see a suit crafted of both celestial bronze and mortal metal with two expertly crafted wings. The helmet had a design that bared the resemblance to an ancient Athenian helmet but with the face of a great horned owl engraved over the front like a mask. The eyelets were covered by a thick layer of glass that was tinted an intimidating bright shade of orange. They were like the eyes of an owl. The chest front had subtle elements that mimicked the designs of ancient depictions of Athena's armor and had an arc reactor in the center. The suit seemed to have a slight shine and admit light. It was beautiful.

"How did you...?" I gasp.

"Annabeth and Malcolm both had made tweaks to the original design of it. They thought it would be cooler to have it look more like Athenian armor. Selena, Michael, and Clarisse also had put in some suggestions when they got wind of it. Selena suggested to try and make it as elegant and graceful as possible to match with your fighting style. Michael made sure I added as many secret compartments as I could so that you can carry medical supplies and all your weapons. Clarisse suggested I should make the helmet look intimidating. That Beckondorf kid got me the celestial bronze to use so it is more equipped to fight off monsters and added some demigod mechanical marvels that I couldn't accomplish," dad explains. "Of course I did put in a lot of my own touches to it, but your friends and siblings helped out."

"You guys shouldn't have," I mumble as I walk closer to continue to admiring the suit. "So beautiful."

"Well, don't just stare at it. Try it on!" Dad encourages. "It should already be programmed to let you step inside. It responds to the ring of shrapnel that you wear on your camp necklace."

My hand finds its way to my necklace. I can feel all seven clay beads I earned from my seven previous summers at camp. I touch the ring my father had made for me from some of the shrapnel that had been in his chest. The metal has long since warmed from my skin. I look at my father and smile as I remember the memory of getting it as a late Christmas gift back in 2012. I turn and basically launched myself into his arms. Dad laughs and hugs me close. He strokes my hair and kisses my head.

"I love it," I murmur into his chest. "Thank you."

"Anything for my little owlet. Love you so much," Dad says. He pulls away a bit and makes me look at him. "Now. Why don't you try it on?"

I giggle and nod. I let go of my dad and walk up to the suit. The back opens up for me to step in so I do just that. It takes a second for the suit to turn on and close behind me.

"Welcome, Bree," a new male AI greets.

His voice sounds like he should be around my age with an American accent. He almost sounds like Lee. My vision becomes slightly blurry at the thought.

"Lee?" I whisper.

"I tried my best to emulate his voice since I know how much you miss him," I hear dad say. "I was waiting to give the honor of naming his system to you."

"How about FLETCHER?" I ask. "Forever Loved Even Though Can't Hold Ever Really. It was his last name after all."

"A great choice, Bree," FLETCHER says.

"Alright, now that that is out of the way. Why don't we do some test runs?" Dad asks.

I smile and nod in agreement. The rest of the afternoon is spent with us testing out my suit.