Chapter 5

Ari awoke the following morning, rousing from her slumber an donning the attire that lay atop her wardrobe. As she ventured into the living room, she settled herself on the couch, sipping on water to combat the waves of morning sickness that plagued her. However, her tranquility was interrupted by the sound of approaching footsteps - it was Mac.

"Hey, babe. How are you feeling this morning?" Ari greeted, concern etched on Mac's face.

"I'm alright, just a bit under the weather," Ari replied, her voice tinged with discomfort. Mac rummaged through the cabinet, retrieving a pack of crackers and settling down beside Ari. "Thanks," Ari expressed her gratitude, accepting the offering from Mac's outstretched hand. Curiosity sparked within Ari as she inquired about Mac's upcoming assignment. "So, what do you think you'll be tasked with this time?"

Mac shrugged, uncertainty clouding his features. "Who knows? It's always something different. But hey, I'd love for you to join me and together we can conquer the virtual world of Donkey Kong," Ari suggested playfully, hoping the distraction would alleviate her cramps and sickness.

With a blush creeping onto his cheeks, Mac contemplated the idea of cuddling with Ari. He knew all too well the comfort it brought him. Just as the thought crossed his mind, Mac's phone chimed, interrupting their moment. "Do you want to come?" Mac asked, his eyes fixed on Ari. Without hesitation, she nodded, thrilled at the prospect of embarking on her first mission alongside her beloved husband.

Leaving their abode behind, Ari and Mac made their way to the Phoenix Foundation. As they arrived at the office, the clock striking 2:40, they were greeted by Agent Banister, a formidable army woman. The team gathered around a screen, where a bomb was displayed. Ari swiftly snapped a photo of the explosive device, her curiosity piqued. However, before she could examine the image, tragedy struck. A sudden intruder entered the room, ruthlessly taking Agent Banister's life.

Thornton desperately attempted to establish contact with the fallen agent, but it was futile. Ari's heart sank, overwhelmed by the sorrow of witnessing Agent Banister's untimely demise. "Whomever you may be, I shall extinguish your existence," proclaimed the enigmatic voice, its chilling tone resonating through the air. "Remember my words, for I, Ari, shall ensure your demise," he declared, his gaze piercing into the depths of the mysterious figure before him.