Chapter 41

"I grant approval over death!"

The battle had begun. Cerce was now inside a tower overlooking the arena. Curtis looked up at her.

"I look forward to completing the ceremony with you my lovely lady!" he said blowing a kiss.

Luke snapped and charged at him. Curtis had no difficulty dodging Luke's furious attacks.

"You are letting you anger get the best of you," Curtis said flatly.

"What are you, my teacher?" Luke sneered. He swung is fist again, only this time to be blocked by Curtis' sword.

Curtis moved in close and brought his voice to a whisper. "Calm down, you need to stop letting your feelings control your actions. You will never win this way." Then Curtis jumped backwards, creating a distance between them.

Luke took a deep breath. As much as he didn't want to admit it, Curtis was right. Luke needed to control himself right now. He wanted to win. More importantly, he wanted to beat Curtis. If he was going to have any chance of that, he needed to calm down.

With one last deep breath, Luke took a fighting stance. He was ready now. Curtis seemed to smile back at him.

"Alright, now that you are ready," Curtis lowered his swords, "Let the true fight begin!"

Luke shot his barrage of fireballs at Curtis, who ran sideways to dodge them. Curtis looped around and closed the distance between them quickly.

Without even using his ability, Curtis was very skilled at close combat. He was so nimble, he seemed to dance around Luke, slashing at him at incredible speeds.

Luke sent out a blast of fire in all directions, leaving an opening to attack. Now it was Luke's turn to attack. He attacked with flaming fists. However, Curtis started to use his light ability to trick Luke, and Luke missed his attack.

Invisible, Curtis snuck around to strike Luke from behind. But somehow Luke spun around and punched him, knocking Curtis to the floor. When Curtis got back up, Luke's face surprised him.

Luke's eyes were closed.

Curtis attacked again, but this time, none of his attacks landed. Luke somehow was dodging his attacks while blind. Finally, after dodging enough, Luke landed a powerful hit to Curtis' face, packed with flames. Curtis flew over, landing hard on his back.

Curtis felt himself smile. This was not the same Luke he had defeated before. This was a much more powerful Luke Sky.

Curtis stood up. He was not ready to lose yet. He crossed his swords in front of him, ready for the next attack.

With his eyes still closed, Luke shot a fireball at Curtis. With a powerful slash, the fireball broke and Curtis was left unscathed. Luke continued firing, and Curtis blocked the best that he could. Luke shot a fire pillar out of his palm straight into the air. Then the pillar became smaller and smaller until it was the size of a small ball. Luke tossed the ball onto the field.

Curtis glanced at the ball. He had half expected it to explode or something, but nothing happened. Then Luke created two more, and threw them out onto the field. Curtis decided he couldn't wait for Luke to make a move, so he charged.

Luke's eyes snapped open as he took a fighting stance. This time, the flames encased his feet. Moments before Curtis could make contact, Luke sprang into the air. He leapt over Curtis and attacked him from behind.

Curtis blocked with his sword, damaging Luke's fist. Then Curtis slashed at Luke, cutting his chest. Luke staggered backwards. Curtis left a deep wound. And his hand was cut pretty badly. He was going to need to end this soon, or he would lose.

Luke charged again, but Curtis was fast. He dodged Luke's first punch and slammed Luke to the ground. Now Luke laid flat on his back with Curtis' leg pinning him down. A sword was pointed at his neck.

"It looks like even with the extra training, you still aren't ready," Curtis sighed.

Luke could feel his wound throbbing as Curtis pressed on it with his foot. He had the wind knocked out of him and was out of breath. This was the end. Luke closed his eyes and braced himself.

Everyone was yelling and shouting. Maya and Rio were screaming at him to get up. Daniel tried to tell him that he could do it.

But through all the noise, one voice reached out to him among the chaos.

"Hey Luke! Get your butt off the floor and beat this guy!" Cerce screamed.

Luke's eyes snapped open. He kicked his legs up, knocking Curtis off balance, and leapt to his feet. The crowd cheered as Luke once again took a fighting stance.

"It is time to end this!" Luke shouted.

Curtis smiled. "I couldn't agree more,"

Luke pointed his fists at two of the fireballs he had placed down before. Then he smashed his fists together, causing the compacted flame pillars to be released. They slammed into Curtis, no doubt doing an incredible amount of damage. Luke pulled the third one into his palm and charged. Curtis blocked, but the flames wrapped around the sword and hit him anyway.

In one swift move, Luke spun around and swiped the back of Curtis' legs with his right heel. Time seemed to slow for Luke as Curtis started to fall. When Curtis became parallel to the ground, Luke wound up a powerful punch. Luke slammed a flamed fist into Curtis as hard as he could, making an impact in the ground.

The referee ran over to Curtis, who was motionless. After only a few moments, he raised his hand in the air.

"Match over! Luke Sky is the winner!"

The crowd roared into applause. Maya, Rio, Daniel, and Riley all came running out onto the field to congratulate him.

"Luke!" Cerce cheered from up in her tower. Then she climbed up onto the ledge of the three story tower, and leapt off with a huge smile on her face.

Luke quickly raced over to her. Luke dove and grabbed Cerce out of the air, spinning himself so that he landed on his back.

Cerce beamed at him as Luke groaned. She remained on his lap as he sat up.

"Why did you jump off the tower?" Luke said arching his back.

Cerce shrugged. "I knew you would catch me." Luke stared blankly at her. "Congratulations Luke!" she said after a moment of silence. She put her arms around him. Then someone whistled, reminded her again that they were not alone.

The leader of the event came over to Luke to present the fake Triblade to finish the ceremony. Meanwhile, Curtis walked up to Cerce and whispered something in her ear, making her face red.

"Now you two must go to the statue of the gods and place this inside the hole at the bottom of the statue."