Chapter 36

The bell rang and Haley immediately sent out projectiles flying towards the other team.  Casey used her super speed to dash quickly towards the outside.  Edward let out a crazy battle cry and charged right down the center.  Alex and Bradley followed to back him up.

            The first one they made contact with was Luke, which was exactly what they were hoping for.  Edward rushed Luke and swung hard with his right hand.  Luke easily dodged, as predicted, only to end up in the arms of Bradley.

            “We acknowledge your skill as Luke Sky.  We shall not make the same mistake as your previous opponents,” he whispered.

            Suddenly, Luke was unable to move.  His body was frozen in place.  Bradley let go of him and they continued to charge the net.

            Alex stayed behind and guarded Luke.  Cerce, who had seen the attack, made her way over to rescue him.  She shot arrows at him, only to find that they just bounced off his newly-formed iron body.  He smashed her with his foot and Cerce went flying backwards.

            Meanwhile at their own goal, Daniel and Riley were getting overwhelmed.  Daniel started panicking about his plan.  Luke was unable to fight at the moment, and his abilities would have been really helpful at that time.  The plan was ruined.  He would need to come up with a new plan all while fighting against three opponents.

            Not only was Bradley’s ability to trap anyone he hugs very dangerous, but he was also a very nimble fighter.  He danced around Daniel’s strikes as if they were nothing.  Casey was running circles around Riley, who did not seem amused.  She felt her frustration building.

            A roar echoed throughout the stadium.

            Riley turned to see a giant gorilla towering over her.  With one powerful swipe, she and Daniel were knocked away from the goal.

            3-0.

            Cerce managed to knockback Alex and free Luke.  Alex retreated and regrouped with his team.

            Daniel’s mind was racing.  These guys were good: far better than he had anticipated.  He needed a new strategy.  Then he remembered one of their backup plans they made.

            “Operation Juggernaut!” he cried out to his teammates.

            Everyone turned and looked at Daniel as if he was crazy.  They had gone over that plan, but they decided to not use it since it probably would cause too much stress on Maya and Cerce.

            “That is crazy!” Luke said back.  “We can’t do that!”

            Cerce stopped him.  She looked at Maya and they both nodded at each other.

            “We can do this!”

            Daniel grinned.  “Then let’s go!”

            Riley and Luke split off onto the sides of the stadium.  Maya leapt onto one of the giant pillars and focused her mind.

            Cerce walked towards the center of the arena, completely exposed to the other team.

            Team Pentas returned to their original plan.  Casey dashed to the outside again.  Haley shot out projectiles at Cerce, and Edward, Alex, and Bradley charged down the middle.

            Cerce snapped her fingers and the projectiles exploded, a trick created with the help of Luke from behind the scenes.  The explosion created a ball of smoke, which Bradley foolishly charged into.