"I would've just been thrown back into my room," Pax said. "Am I expected to hide until they give up?"

"No," I satiated. I put a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it. "You're not expected to do anything. We're just going through options." I was stuck between whether or not I was being mushy or if I was treating him like a child.

We went through those options until it was time for bed. Pax was curled up on himself the majority of the time, but I couldn't sleep. Pax didn't move an inch, even though his eyebrows were creased and a frown settled on his face. I wish I could do something in order to give him some peace.

The sky had just turned black when my phone started to ring. My eyes darted over to the device in shock, I hesitated before picking it up. Nobody phoned me, especially at this time of the night. Fear flowed through my veins as I saw 'Mam <3' on my screen.

"Mam?" I said into the phone. "What's wrong?"

I was vaguely aware of Pax shuffling up the bed, leaning on my headboard. Rowan's snores had disappeared as well. I stared at the quilt and tried to listen to any background noise which could indicate what's going on. There was only some faint rustling behind her, like she was outside.

"Farley, are you okay? Are you safe? What happened?" She spoke too quickly for this time in the morning.

The confusion paralysed me before I answered, "I was trying to sleep. I thought something was wrong with you?"

I rested on my headboard now too, Pax's head was very close to my shoulder. "Why would something have happened to us? You're the reason I'm calling."

I gritted my teeth and tried to remain patient. "Yes, but why are you calling? What prompted the call?"

My mam let out a frustrated sigh before my dad's voice became audible. "He doesn't know what you're talking about, give it to me." I tapped my leg as the rustling became louder. "Farley, your mother received a text from a friend this morning asking about whether or not you had anything to do with, and I am quoting here, the death of the black wolf. Do you know what that's about?"

My mouth became dry and my eyes darted to Pax. Rowan was now sitting on the edge of his bed, elbows on his knees. I nodded towards the door and he left like a bullet train.

"No? Pax is still here," I said. I moved the phone near Pax. "Say hello, Pax." That was the quickest way to make my parents believe that he was still alive.

"Hello?" Pax asked. His voice caught me off-guard. His voice was rough, and he had to cough after speaking. It made my chest warm in a strange way I couldn't concentrate on.

"He's alright, hear? He's alive. Now what were you told?" I asked frantically. The light in the room turned on, burning my eyes momentarily. I don't know why I didn't think about doing that, but I didn't focus on it. There had been no need for light. Caspian was standing in the doorway, the shadows under his eyes enhanced by his droopy eyelids.

I put my phone on speaker and let my parent's voices fill the air.

"Your mother got a message from an old pack member asking about you. She recognised our surname and was worried if it was us who were involved with the murder of a black wolf." Clementine and Iris had joined us in the room, making it feel extremely crowded. "It was only logical that it was about you. Though, I think we managed to settle them for now."

"How did they find out?" Caspian asked. He entered the room and say on the makeshift stool.

"Apparently they heard it in the spider web?" my mother answered. "Someone else from my pack found out through a friend."

In the Eyes of the Wolfजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें