Chapter 52 - Loki

There was a commotion from my family as I was fleeing. A foolish part of me thought, and hoped, it was for me. That it was the gasp of a mother not wanting to separate from her son, not being able to see him in this much hurt, to stop him from running away, to comfort him from the pains that were growing within him endlessly.

I turned back to find all of their backs turned towards me. They were all looking at Odin.

Odin, that overly sensitive drama-loving performing actor. He always found a way for people to sympathize with him.

I noticed that he wasn't moving. He was, in fact, overly nonreactive to this whole scene. One would've expected an entire speech from his side. I expected him to accept his wrongdoing and face the consequences, as is dictated by the Viking law. He would've been forgiven for owning up to his crimes. Forgiven by the law, that is. Me? I would never.

Everything was silent. It became concerning what or why is this silence in place of cries of accusations and telling me that my birthright was to die.

Mother was climbing to Odin, I was curious as to what was going to unfold. I would flee, yes, but allow me to absorb what is happenning.

Mother called out his name softly, touched him lightly at first, then jolted him. 

Whispers of golden light radiated from him like a soft beam.

Hah. Expect the old buffoon to keep up with his buffoonery. I am disappointed, but not surprised. It was absolutely and perfectly normal for him to act out in this dramatic way, after all, he was a little more than the court jester in my eyes.

Thor called out his name and Heimdall hung his head, he must've seen this coming as well. Sometimes, I do wonder what all he has seen, the burden of being all-seeing must weigh heavy.

I'm sure the rest of the kingdom would've gasped as well, but they still were in their trance.

I wasn't sure but I think I heard Y/n chuckle as well - a mirthful one. She must be feeling the same contempt towards Odin. I couldn't be too sure, though. The Y/n I knew... she no longer existed, or maybe doesn't exist for a while. She felt alone during her worst times and God knows what thought has given her the ability and stability to power through these times. 

I am concerned with what she is planning onto doing. Seeing her demeanour shift from this docile, submissive woman who was crying on her knees to this form of a powerful warrior Goddess - she must be planning something.

I would've peeked into her mind except that I can't. Somehow, she's tapped into her full powers, becoming a stronger magician than I. 

As of Odin, he was, now, no stronger than a piece of wood. In fact, I'd wager he's weaker. Thor, Mother and Heimdall were on their feet trying to haul Odin to his room. It shouldn't be too difficult a task, but it would sure be easier if I lifted him with my magic. I'm not going to do that, that would be absurd. Assisting him when he thinks of me as no more than a disposable pawn - one he won't even let reach the other end in the hopes of the pawn becoming mightier.

Meanwhile, Y/n descended down to the Hall, standing on her feet now. My plan to run has been postponed, because I can't really go anywhere without the help of Heimdall and, more importantly, I'm interested in what Y/n would do now that the throne is empty. I was itching myself to take it over, in fact that would be befitting.

"What's this? Has he passed out due to the shame?" Hearing her voice in my head felt good but I couldn't ignore the excitement she was feeling. It was concerning.

"He has fallen into Odin Sleep. He requires this yearly sort of recharge for his power and life source to regenerate. He's as weak as a mortal in this time, and we also get attacked a lot. He'll wake up in a day at most."

Great timing, I should point out. After all, who should face the consequences of their own actions, why should one do that? He is a mighty, powerful King not because he faces confrontation and enemies face on. No, no. That won't do at all. Who in their right minds would ever do that?

Instead, the path to greatness lies in avoiding all and every difficult conversation by any means possible. For example, falling into Odin sleep is an excellent strategy. One can avoid all confrontation and gets to be the centre of attention. Although his weak state makes Asgard a vulnerable target for all. I prayed that this time we would be spared and not have to witness another destruction. The entire ordeal of reconstruction post war is always saddening.

All of Asgard is desensitized to these wars and I'm not certain whether that's good or bad. A calm Kingdom during wars is great because no one panics and everyone is ready to contribute. But to be so accustomed to war and chaos is suitable to soldiers, not children. Even the 10 year olds talk about fighting alongside the Warriors Three and the Einherjar - the warrior class of Asgard. Even though the Einherjar is the dead warrior race, one that will rise on the day of Ragnarok, it only shows that the people are wanting to fight through life and death.

The ground beneath me trembled and I heard a loud blast from the Bifrost.

This cannot be good.

The people of Asgard were still under her captivity as the blasts moved closer and closer.

Do I stay and fight? Or do I leave? I debated while Asgard was under attack by all forces.

We are at war.