Chapter 43 - Your Duplicate

*This chapter is from your duplicate's point of view, taken from the moment you had created her in your bathroom before sneaking away.*

I stepped out of the bath, leaving behind a me who was very worn out after the attempt to create, well, me. Targeting Loki in the balcony, I went upto him, and he looked all sorts of worried about me. I smiled softly and told him that I'm having a really rough time trying to keep Shuaya away from my thoughts.

His long arms wrapped around my shoulder and I stiffened before I could relax. I don't know why, but now every move for intimacy seems like a way to hurt me. I was snuggling his chest when in the corner of my eyes, I saw my original leave warily, she was so determined - I was so determined. And I was sure too, that I'll finish what I've set my mind to. Until then, I'll have to do my job here as to keep Loki busy.

The healing process is the same for me and my creator. I have her exact memories and fears. If I overcome them here and now, she'll be able to feel the same when we merge back together. She shares me and I share her. Maybe that's how we'll move on, that's how we will go on. I don't know what will happen if and when she kills Shuaya but in either case, the fear would be there and she'll need someone to protect her, someone to love her. As far as I know, Loki cares enough about her to love her too, so it's in my hands now that when she'll be here, Loki will be ready for her.

"Loki?"

"Yes dear?"

"Do you love me?"

That's it. In one question I did and undid all that there was ever to do. I wanted to be sure that Loki will actually be there for us, with us, so I wasted no time in stalling.

I felt his frame grow stiff under the weight of the question, "I'm afraid I'm not the one who can answer this call of yours." This Loki said in quite an uncertain voice.

"But I can, and I probably should." The velvety voice of the real Loki came from the doors of my chamber. He was resting in his chamber earlier. I think he might've heard the call of his duplicate.

The original Loki walked to the two of us and placed a light hand on the back of the duplicate, "Thank you, I'll take it from here." The duplicate dissolved into a bright green mass which went inside Loki.

My body protested at the sudden loss of warmth but not for long, the remaining Loki assumed his postion above me and I was in his arms again. I was thankful for the warmth as a cool wind blew against my back.

"So? Do you?" I continued, my head nestled under his jaw.

I felt his heavy exhale on the top of my head. He was thinking, hard and long. Even though I could've heard what he was thinking, I deliberately pushed that wonder away. If Loki loves me, if he loves us, then he needs to say it, loud and clear.

"I...I'm not sure which response you are more likely to accept. I mean I'm a God, and you're a mortal - an extraordinary one but a mortal nonetheless - and we...well it might just never work out."

I pulled back from his embrace, looked at him with eyes almost on the verge of tears, "Do you or do you not?"

His face squeezed in a look of pity and doubt. He wanted to say something but couldn't have had been more confused about it.

"I- I don't know, y/n."

I pushed him away, and stormed back into my room with Loki tailing me.

"Please don't be mad." He pleaded softly.

"Get lost Loki. I hope you know at least that." I extended my right arm dramatically and pointed it towards the door.

He looked like he had been wounded but had a sudden change of mind and he was now angry, "Fine." I saw him leaving and let him go. If he can't offer his honest love, I'll take his dishonest hate.