Chapter 26 - Y/n

*This chapter is from Your POV.*

When healing magic coursed through me for the first time, I didn't believe that Loki could be here. I didn't want to believe it. After everything that I had gone through, it was hard trusting even my own existence. I itched to use the magic, just so that I could confirm his presence but even if it did work, did I have the proof that Shuaya didn't know? That he wouldn't manipulate even that aspect too? I was too scared to get an answer.

That bloody bastard Shuaya tortured me physically and mentally. He ran me through infinite simulations, all with the "happy ending" of Loki rescuing me. The duration of each sim increased, and the moment I started thinking that I could actually be safe, Shuaya would rip through the simulation and beat me horribly.

After going through all of that, one cannot possibly be convinced of reality. So when Loki scurried to me from the doors yet again, I didn't respond. What would've been the point anyway? I would've hoped, and then my hopes would've been brutally crushed. But when his magic ran through me, not once but several times through the course of the next few days, I was beginning to hope again.

Earlier today when I had decided to run away, I saw the poltergeist. He had become a dear friend of mine in these days, one without a name. He told me that I needed to escape and that Loki was really here. My happiness knew no bounds when he confirmed the presence of Loki. The ghost told me to go to the chasm at the end of the kingdom bounds, he said he'll watch me leave and do whatever he could to ensure my safety.

While I wanted to run away, I also wanted to see the crystal for one last time. So I made the quick detour, never really imagining it to go so beautifully right and so horribly wrong. I danced with Loki to that beautiful music from the music box which powered up as soon as I was within the proximity of the crystal, courtesy of Yaana technology.

Those peaceful moments were soothing beyond anything. Even though the pain in my head and burn in my eyes soured it, the moment was beautiful. And when Loki gave me this elegant combat suit, I was soooo happy, an emotion I thought I wouldn't experience anytime soon.

However Shuaya crashed the party like the rubbish he is, and it really didn't go well. Loki and I ended up destroying the crystal which sent like the craziest shockwave. Welp, gotta run now.

The weirdest thing happened when Heimdall blatantly refused to open the Bifrost for me even as I was hurtling down the chasm with Loki. Heimdall explained in short that the device in me which is triggered by Shuaya's death will blast in the most poisonous radiation if I were to leave Yaana. So unless there was a way I could remove it, there is no way in Hell Heimdall was gonna let me in.

It took all of me to negotiate with Heimdall about Loki whilst falling down at a screaming speed. All of my body wanted to cry and scream for leaving Loki like this, for betraying him like this. But I had to do what I had to do. I corresponded with Heimdall and he was to open the Bifrost when I gave the confirmation. So I pushed Loki and yelled to Heimdall, and Loki was gone before I could even apologize. I could only hope that he'd ask Heimdall 'why' and Heimdall would reply.

The alarming speed at which I was falling only kept increasing. Even my bones wouldn't be found after falling from such speed. The wind filled my mouth and stung my already burning eyes.

The ghost.

Yes, he said he'd be on the lookout for me. He must be around. I filled in my lungs to scream his name but the breath left me without any voice. I didn't have any name for him.

"Helllppp!" I screamed, deciding it's the apt word.

And on cue, he popped next to me, lying on his side with his head rested on his palms. He looked suspiciously relaxed for someone who is supposed to be helping me get out of this death situation.

"Sup?" He asked stuffing in a yawn.

Sup? Bloody hell sup? What's wrong with him?

"I'm falling and I wouldn't like to die. A little help?" I scream through the wind, hoping he'd spring into action. I don't know why but talking to him was easier than it was with Loki or anyone else.

"You know, you don't pay much attention to anything."

"What the hell? Just get me out of here now!"

"See, you're not listening to me."

"Save me and I'll have a fucking meeting with you." The desperation in me was rising as fast as I was lowering.

"Answer my questions, then I'll do something."

There was no other way around. "Fine! How many?"

"How long can you survive without sleep?" He asked, avoiding my question comfortably.

"A fortnight?" I guessed. It was a question close to my reality.

"Close, almost a week. Next up, how long can you survive without food?"

"Uuuh three weeks?" I guessed again. What I couldn't guess is why the hell is he doing this? Just help me already. I couldn't see ground yet but I'm sure it wouldn't take long either.

"More or less. Last question, what are aftermaths of sleep deprivation?"

Now that I needn't guess, "Head aches, burning eyes, loss of focus, being irritated, sensory overload and the sorts."

"You're missing an important consequence. You have to tell me that before I can do something." He chided me like when you chide a child when they are lying to you and you know it.

I ran through everything I had experienced, I've been sleep deprived for months now, although I did catch a few good shut-eyes every week. Oh wait that's why, so that I don't die. But what was the symptom I was missing? I tried to think harder but thinking takes a calm mind and falling down a chasm isn't exactly a situation where my mind would like to calm down.

"I don't know. Why aren't you helping me?!"

"Oh sweetie, allow me to help you with this one. The most important consequence of sleep deprivation is... hallucinating." And with those words, he evaporated.

Hallucinating...that is what I was. Hallucinating the poltergeist. I befriended an illusion, I trusted an illusion. As this fact settled within me, the screaming in my mind went silent, nothing mattered anymore. It was like I had given up on living, on fighting, on surviving. I could see the ground now, and as I approached it, my life flashed in front my eyes.

I have always lived and believed lies.

The ground reached my face and with a screaming reflex, I brought my hands to my face and I...

 I didn't splatter on the ground.

I was hovering above the ground, with wisps of white smoke radiating from my palms.