"We have a week to get him back," I explained. "Those twins will keep Nico alive long enough for the Seven to reach Rome."

"It'll take a week to reach Rome?"

Zoë nodded. "Considering who the seven demigods are, a week is generous. Monsters will flock to them. Not to mention, they must transverse the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. It is a dangerous and arduous journey."

"I see." Bianca didn't seem happy about that. "Then you better get a move on. I want my brother back alive, Andy."

"You and me both," I sighed. "I'll keep you updated."

"Please do."

"As far as Thalia goes..."

"We will take care of her," Zoë said. She gave Bianca's shoulder a reassuring squeeze, managing a slight smile out of the daughter of Hades. "Given time, she should calm down. Do not take her words to heart."

That's when the IM timed out and the image vanished. I dropped the water back into the Little Tiber.

A deep hollowness settled into my chest as Thalia and Bianca's devastated expressions came to the forefront of my mind. Now I understood those people who thought they were a walking jinx. A small part of me couldn't help but think that most of my friends would've been better off never having met me. Maybe I should've stayed on the sidelines this whole time.

Get those thoughts out of here, girl, Clotho admonished. We threw you into the fray for a reason.

Loss comes with the territory of being in this, or any, world, Lachesis said.

The Zeus girl needs time to grieve the loss of her friend. You need time to grieve, too, Atropos added. Perhaps joining the Seven isn't the way to go about this.

"Then what am I supposed to do?" I asked, frustratedly yanking out a large chunk of grass. "Either I'm in the fray or I'm not. Either I interfere or I don't. What do you want from me?"

To take care of yourself, the Fates spoke in unison. You are not yet finished, girl. We still have much planned for you.

A strangled cry of desperation tore itself free from my throat. The Little Tiber exploded as the grass around me died all at once. I pressed my forehead against my knees and breathed heavily, apologizing to the nymphs and naiads under my breath.

I stayed there until the sun rose. I made sure to fix the grass I'd killed before heading to the Senate House with the others.

I silently stood beside Reyna and Percy for the length of the meeting. More than once, I saw my friends look at me with matching concerned expressions, especially after seeing how violently I'd fought yesterday. Even Vitellius had stopped me at one point to say that I looked like death warmed over.

Rich words coming from a Lar.

My toga and blue cloak were impeccable. I'd pulled my hair into the tightest braid I could manage. My omega tattoo with its seven lines was visible for all to see. My Camp Half-Blood necklace and charm bracelet (Terminus and I had an agreement about my bracelet) hung in their proper places. I'd even gone through the process of altering my appearance to look normal.

If Vitellius could see through that, I was in trouble.

I didn't speak until it came time for Percy to vouch for the safety of those aboard the Argo II. When Octavian became too snippy for my liking, I had a vine wrap around his mouth while another tied him to his chair.

"Andy," Reyna warned.

"I'm not releasing him. He and I have had our conversations about proper Senate behavior before."