Chapter 21

Ruby stretched her body out across her bed as she groggily rubbed her eyes. Someone had been blowing her phone up for the past ten minutes. The constant vibration had finally jarred Ruby from her slumber.

"Yeah," She answered hastily, not bothering to pay attention to the contact. Ruby was beyond exhausted. The past week had been hectic, to say the least.

"There's no way you're still sleeping," Isaiah's voice blared through the phone louder than Ruby expected.

Lowering the volume, Ruby sat up in bed. Groaning, she stated, "I was— What's up, what can I do for you?"

"Not you rushing me off the phone," Isaiah chuckled lightly. Although Isaiah was originally Demetrius's friend, he and Ruby had grown a tight bond. She felt more like a little sister than anything, and it was an added bonus that she was besties with his wife. That's why Isaiah didn't mind coming to Ruby with whatever.

"Zay, what's up? I'm tired as hell. Speak your peace." Ruby groaned. She wasn't being an ass, but Ruby was running off fumes these days.

She and Osiris spent all week adding finishing touches to what was now, the new and improved group home/ youth center. Ruby had finally broken down and took Osiris up on his full partnership offer.

The center was now located in an old schoolhouse that Osiris's family owned. It was the perfect place to bring Demetrius's full vision to life. They would never have to turn away another child.

Ruby was spending her days conducting interviews and assuring that the building was up to code. She now required a full staff.  Ruby only wanted the best around her children, so she was thoroughly combing through resumes and background checks.

Isaiah laughed. Ruby had always been a firecracker. "Calm down, I was trying to do lunch and get at you about some shit. You can just hit me back when you're all the way together though."

"Lunch," Ruby frowned. She pulled her phone away from her ear and checked the time. It was 1:33 PM. "Damn, I didn't even realize how tired I was. Something up?" She asked, yawning. Karma spent a lot of time with Isaiah and Anastasia, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for her to share things with them that she was not comfortable discussing with Ruby.

"Nothing like that, just hit my line when you're ready." Isaiah stated. Ruby heard clippers in the background, so she knew Isaiah was working.

"Alright," Ruby sighed. She knew that even if she tried, she wasn't falling back to sleep. "Let me jump up and get myself together, and I'll give you a ring once I'm done."

"Bet." Isaiah stated, ending the call.

I wonder what that's about. Ruby thought to herself before swinging her legs around and planting her feet on the floor. She wanted so badly to crawl back into her bed and up under the covers, but Ruby forced herself up to handle her hygiene.

***********

Ruby entered the restaurant and removed her shades from her face quickly scanning the area for Isaiah. She smiled, letting the hostess know that her party was already seated.

Standing from his seat Isaiah embraced Ruby into a brotherly hug. "What's good, Sis?" He asked, pulling Ruby's seat for her to sit.

"Thanks. Busy, busy, busy," Ruby sighed heavily, taking her seat. "But I won't complain. How are you, how are things at the shop?"

Isaiah took his seat. "You know me, smooth sailing for now. You ever eat here? It was Anastasia's idea to try this spot."

Ruby looked up at Isaiah with her lips twisted to the side. Now she knew something was up.