Chapter 6

"What I'm saying is that grief is constant. It's not some one time thing that you feel for a moment and it just goes away." Ruby looked around the room at the children in her grief group. Of all the things she's done in her life, adding this program to the youth center had to be in Ruby's top ten list of things she was proud of. Not only was she helping others, but to actually speak to other grieving people helped Ruby to navigate her own grief.

Leah, one of Ruby's students, raised her hand before speaking. "I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I get mad with my mom when I feel like she's overdoing it. Not to be mean, but it's been five years since my father's transitioning and there are still days I have to get her together, ensure my siblings are fed, and make sure they get to school on time. It makes me mad because I'm only fifteen. I just want to be fifteen."

Ruby knew all too well what it felt like to raise a parent and her heart went out to Leah. No child should have to take on the role as parent, especially with able bodied adults present.

"Leah, I'm sorry you have to go through that. This is how to exercise last weeks lesson about grace. Remember we spoke about grace?" Ruby asked sympathetically looking around the room.

The system was broken and Ruby was going to do her part by properly preparing the youth for the real world. She wanted to cover the things that really mattered like mental health, financial literacy, credit. The stuff schools neglected to teach.

Paris, Ruby's clinician friend from the hospital, volunteered at the youth every week so the children could have access to therapy. Ruby had everyone from the neighborhood leaders to the dope boys coming in to tell their stories, and her entrepreneur friends came in with tips and classes.

The youth center was fulfilling and one of Ruby's greatest assets. She was certain it was another gift from Demetrius to have the center thrive as it had.

"What does that even mean?" Another student blurted. "You always talk about grace, but how do we do that, or give that?"

Ruby chuckled lightly. Sometimes she had to remind herself that she was dealing with teenagers and not adults. Majority of the kids that visited the center came from broken homes. They knew struggle all too well, and if Ruby was being completely honest, a lot of them knew more than her when it came to the streets.

Yet, none of them knew how to navigate the real world.

"Simply put, it's basically recognizing that person as human. Showing kindness to someone even if you feel they don't deserve it. You give compassion, kindness, and love even when it's not appreciated or reciprocated." Ruby explained. She saw a couple of the kids nod in agreement, making her heart smile. Reaching at least one of them was the goal.

Karma stuck her head in the door and waved her over. "You all can have an open discussion and I'll return shortly to join." Ruby told the group before heading towards the door.

"What's up babe?" Ruby asked, smiling at her daughter.

"There's a guy here asking for the owner. Looks like someone from the courts or an agency. He's in a suit." Karma shrugged.

There were always different agencies checking in on various children. Karma was Ruby's assistant for the day and knew to allow her mother to handle that aspect of things.

Ruby giggled at her daughter's grown up demeanor. Karma was truly her mini me. Stepping to the side, Karma allowed Ruby to lead the way.

Ruby rounded the corner and stopped suddenly.

"Ma!" Karma yelled out as she bumped into Ruby's back.

"Hey," Ruby turned to face Karma. "Can you go start another discussion with the group. I may take a while with this."