Heartbreak

Miguel takes a deep breath before a kneeling Bianca. His hands grasping each other for strength to tell her the truth of his life.

He and his little brother Juan grew up as orphans who watched out for each other on the mean streets of Harlem. Pickpocketing was their main way of staying alive for so long until they almost robbed a man in a fine suit. Jose Torres.

The man with the pompadour admired their courage, not knowing he was head of the Spanish mob. He adopted the both of them and gave them the last name of Torres. He raised them up in a lavish home and provided a quality education so they won't grow up as "estupidos."

As they grow older, they get designated as lookouts or delivery boys for the errands at hand. Despite the hectic lifestyle, they returned to a loving home where their step-mother would kiss them on the forehead while their "father" tussles their hair.

When Miguel almost turned 18, he expressed joining the military to make his family proud of him. His step-father didn't argue with him, but demanded he changed his last name to protect himself. 

"The Torres Cartel has a wide reach and plenty of enemies," Jose explains. "Don't mention your connections to anyone out there. Return back to us." 

After changing his last name to Dominguez, he was set to go.

Juan, however, expressed the desire to take over for the Torres Cartel. The influence his father displayed with just his words and body language was enticing to him. Because of his passion, Jose lets him accompany him to meetings, but with a stern warning to listen or else he will get hurt.

Juan sat back and just listened. He quickly picked up on certain tones, keywords, and how people responded. His street smarts were elevated to a level he never thought of....and he wanted more of it.

Before Miguel left, the brothers embraced for the longest time.

"When you return, let's treat you to the nicest mofongo and women we can find," Juan told him.

"Sure thing, hermanito."

Shortly after, their step-father and mother were gunned down in a misunderstood shootout. Juan took over with help from the other cartel members. He grew the organization through drugs, extortion, and helping the community through charity events. Miguel and him wrote letters to each other while concealing the family business.

During his time overseas, Miguel graduated with a business degree in Logistics to prepare his life ahead of him.

In one of the letters, he found that Juan got married to a woman named Laura and she's already pregnant with their kid. He was so happy to be an uncle and expressed that in his letter.

After he finished his four years, he saw his new family. Juan held up his three-year-old daughter in his arms. He points at his brother who walks over. The girl with braids turned away from him in shyness.

"Dada, who is this?"

"That's your uncle Miguel, Clarice."

"Clarice? That's a beautiful name. You have your father's eyes."

That gentle voice turned her to him.

"You can call me Tio Mike if you like."

The way it sounded made her giggle. "Tio Mike!"

"And you must be Laura."

She embraces him. "Gracias a Dios you came back."

"Come, let's treat you to that dinner."

After getting settled in, Miguel had trouble finding legitimate work in NY. Although he nailed potential interviews, luck wasn't on his side. The clean offices he went into almost suffocated him like he didn't belong there.