Chapter 18 - Adora

What in the entire fuck just happened?

One second Shia was speaking and the next she was screaming. Adora heard the screech of tires, Tia cussing and then nothing but the dial tone when the call hung up. She pulled the phone away from her ear and stared at it wide-eyed. Within seconds, a sense of foreboding had the hairs on the back of her neck standing up.

"No fucking shot I just heard what I thought I did." She whispered to herself. "No fucking shot."

She called Shia again and it went straight to voicemail. She tried 5 more times and with every play of Shia's voicemail, more of the color drained from Adora's face.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!"

Adora bolted up her steps, taking them two at a time, and burst through her bedroom door, startling Navea on her bed.

"Jesus! You scared the shit outta me."

Adora said nothing and ripped her night clothes off, grabbing a hoodie and sweatpants from her closet.

"Adora? Hey, are you okay? You look pale."

"I think Tia and Shia just got abducted."

Adora saw Navea stop moving out of her peripheral as she threw her hair into a high ponytail.

"Abducted? What do you mean abducted?"

She went to the back of her closet and grabbed her running shoes, bending to lace them up.

"As in, I was on the phone with Shia when she suddenly started screaming. I heard tires screech, Tia cuss and then the call disconnected. Now she's going straight to voicemail."

She finished with her shoes and reached under her bed to grab her lock box. She put in her combination and retrieved the pistol she kept inside. She quickly filled the mag before loading the gun and made sure the safety pin was clicked in place before storing it in her waistband.

"Where are you going? And why did you load your gun?"

"I'm going to find them." She said, tightening her sweatpants to ensure the gun stayed snug on her side without slipping. "And I pray to every deity there is that I've calmed down when I've found them because if not, whoever took them won't be seeing the next sunrise."

She made for her room door, only to be blocked by Navea.

Adora looked down at the petite female.

"Navea, as much as I have fantasized throwing you on my bed, this is not the context, nor the atmosphere I want to do it in. Move."

"I'm not moving."

"Navea..." Adora said, voice low and threatening.

"Let me finish. I'm not moving unless you promise to take me with you."

"Hell and no."

Navea's nostril flared.

"And why the hell not?"

"Did you not just see the pistol I tucked in my pants? What if whoever took them has one too?"

"Then I'll stay behind the girl who never misses the bullseye at the shooting range."

Adora groaned. "Navea, I can't be worrying over them and worrying over your safety at the same time."

"This isn't about you feeling worried over me or not. It's about having one more set of eyes that could see something you miss. They're my friends too, Adora, and I want to help find them."

Adora and Navea stared down each other for several heartbeats. Adora saw the unrelenting determination in Navea's eyes and sighed.

"Fine Vea, but you have to promise to stay close to me unless absolutely necessary to separate. Agreed?"