Chapter 13 - Jalen

After the whole fiasco with Xavier, the party died down pretty quickly. I was around 10:30 when people slowly started to leave and by 11, the backyard was completely empty. Only Jalen, Kaylen, Tia, Shia and Adora were left.

"I have to say, your friends are a lot more respectful of peoples' property than other teenagers nowadays." Jalice stated. "The yard isn't as much of a mess as I thought it would be."

Jalen glanced around the yard and realized his mom was right. Majority of the trash was in the bags and there was only minimal candy wrappers that made it onto the floor.

"Guess we know how to pick them." He said, moving to start cleaning up.

"No no, that can wait until the morning. It's late and you'll be out here until 2am trying to clean this up. Besides, don't y'all have a horror movie marathon to prepare for?"

"Oh, speaking of that..." Kaylen started, turning to Adora. "Would you like to join us?"

Adora's face morphed into one of shock and disbelief.

"Huh? You want me to join in? Really?"

"Well, I was more so inviting you to spend the weekend here, not just the movie marathon."

"But but- "She stuttered. "You told me this is something y'all have been doing for years. I don't want to intrude on a long-standing tradition."

"Adora, after what you did earlier, standing in defense of Tia and Shia, you have more than earned your spot in our little circle. I actually already talked to Jalen and Shia about this last week, but we had to see how you and Tia got along first."

"Hold on, hold on, hold on. Y'all used me as a test to see if Adora could hang with us?" Tia said in disbelief.

"Yes. Safe to say she passed with flying colors, right?"

"I mean, yea, but y'all could've told me."

"We didn't because you would've made it difficult for her on purpose."

"I... can't even deny that."

"Exactly my point." Kaylen turned back to Adora. "So what do you say?"

"Well, um, don't you need your parent's permission to let me stay first?"

"Right, right." Kaylen looked to her parents'. "Papa', mama' is it okay if- "

"Finish that sentence and I'm grounding you. Of course she can stay, you already know how we feel about her." Jalice said.

"I second mi' amors statement. Adora, you already know that our door is open to you always, don't ask a stupid question like that again."

She smiled at the couple and turned back to Kaylen.

"I would love to join you."

Kaylen smiled back at her.

"Good, it's settled then. How long do you think it'll take you to get back over here?"

"Hmm, 30-45 minutes? There shouldn't be any heavy traffic out so maybe less depending on how fast I can shower and pack my bag." She looked at Tia and Shia. "I can drive y'all home and pick you up on my way back."

"Are you sure? I was going to drive them back home and wait for them. I don't want you wasting your gas." Kalel said.

Adora shook her head, dismissing the notion.

"It's all good old man. I have to leave and come back anyway; A street difference isn't gonna affect my tank."

"If that's the case, what are we waiting for, let's bounce." Tia stated, standing up.