Chapter 16 - Kaylen

"Okay Jay, which one?" Kaylen asked.

She turned to Jalen who was laying on her bed on his phone. He looked up and scrunched his nose as he surveyed the options.

Kaylen was holding up two separate dresses. One was cream white and floor length with yellow flowers and thick straps with a straight flow design. The other was cherry red with a plunging neckline, a tight bodice, strapless and mid-thigh length.

"Depends. Are you planning on attending Easter service at the church or shaking something strange for a little bit of change?"

Kaylen groaned and threw the dresses on the growing pile of clothes accumulating on her bean bag chair.

"Jay, you're supposed to be helping me."

"I am. Start by burning that white dress. Where did it even come from?"

"Abuela gave it to me for Christmas last year."

"And you still have it?" He asked in disbelief.

"Jalen! Come onnnn, help meeeeee. I'm supposed to go pick up Tia in an hour and I still don't know what to wear." Kaylen said, pouting.

He chuckled. "Sis, just wear what you normally would."

"Are you out of your mind? We've been dating for almost 3 weeks and this is our very first date. I am not going to wear what I usually do."

"You act like Tia isn't going to show up in her usual joggers or ripped jeans with a graphic tee and a pair of Jordans. I honestly think you're overthinking this."

"So you just wore what you normally do on your first date with Shia? And she did the same?"

"Yes and yes. Look sis, I get you're excited and want to look your absolute best but allow me to remind you. Yes, Tia is now your girlfriend but that hasn't changed the fact that she is also your best friend. She's seen you in nearly every growing stage before you became the beauty that you are now and she knows you inside and out. You don't have to try so hard to pretty yourself up for her, she's going to find you gorgeous regardless. So take a deep breath, calm your nerves and just relax."

Kaylen did what he said, closing her eyes and taking a few calming breathes. When she felt like all of her nervous energy was gone, she opened her eyes and smiled at him.

"Have I mentioned just how much I appreciate you as a brother?"

He grinned. "Yes. Don't hesitate to mention it more."

She turned back to her closet and started shifting through her jeans.

"Speaking of our significant others...how has sex with Shia been?"

"Nope, nah uh, on that note, I'm going back to my room. My sex life is one topic I will never feel comfortable enough to talk to you about."

Kaylen laughed as she heard him get up and saw him leave out of her room through her peripheral.

"Coward!" She called after him.

"I will be that today and everyday you ask me that question!" He called back.

She laughed again and went back to picking out her outfit. She ultimately decided to follow Jalen's advice and dress comfortably.

She settled on a black and white tie dye two-piece set. The shirt was a long sleeve crop top with cross crossing fabric to the front that tied off in the back. The pants were stretchy and breathable fabric that hugged her curves before flowing out at her feet. It was chilly outside so she paired the outfit with her black UGGS and a black leather jacket. She kept it simple with her jewelry. Opting to wear small silver hoops, the connecting heart necklace Tia got her, two silver linked bracelets, one on each wrist, and a single ring on her left ring finger.