Chapter Sixty Two

Start from the beginning

From where I was looking through the house I could see Adrian in the kitchen making something to eat, while also semi dancing to an old Frank Sinatra record.

"Good morning Arilynn, did Nathan annoy you" he says noticing me walk into the room.

"No, he is still asleep as far as I know, and I was actually just coming to talk about him" I admit and Olivia and Adrian exchange a look.

"What kind of talk?" Olivia asks while Adrian watches me find a place to sit with a look of fascination and intrigue.

"Like what to expect when he takes over from Adrian" I reply taking the seat as far from the more intense version of Nathan.

"Nathan isn't the same kind of monster that I am, I'd burn down the world for the people around me, Nathan would simply leave behind a ghost town of the dead. Nathan strikes people as blunt, and though that will be a tool for him, acting rather then thinking can cause problems. In my twenty-five years as CEO I would manipulate, and pull the strings from out of the picture, Nathan has always directly faced his problems by fighting them. He's a good kid, and can be sensitive to how others act. He's just unpredictable and aggressive in situations that involve those he cares about" Adrian explains.

"He also if he truly gets lost in his feelings has drank and drove, and disappeared for hours. He scared his previous girlfriend to the point she drove three hours to our house to get help. So my husband is right he's unpredictable, and needs someone to always rely on. He's picked up Adrian's habit of keeping everything inside to not bother others. The difference is that he doesn't deal with it as well" Olivia says softly as he nails tapped the outside of her porcelain mug.

"In the end I want him to be happy, and relaxed. However Nathan has all of Olivia's soft traits which are good in normal settings, just when mixed with my coldness, and prone to outburst behaviours. If he can find a way to control himself he will hold a reputation just beneath mine, if not, scandal will be a commonality to his life, which will affect yours" the raven haired man says rubbing his beard.

"Where did the devil reputation come from. Nathan's explained some of your family history and a hundred years ago your family was making clothing not ruling the economic world".

"My ancestors had a different take on how to be strong. They thought that by using money that had once come from the profits of World War One, Two, and the slave trade for a hundred years prior to that that clothing would hide the truth. The Winters family made their money doing horrible but justified things at the time. People were killed our past defined us, my grandfather watched his dad the first recognized Winters, Henry be assassinated, he then raised my father who turned into a stiff, money fueled, cold man" Adrian says walking over to the back of a lone single person chair and gripping the back of it, an expression of mourning relief eclipse his face.

"My sister Katelyn was spared from the his cruelty, and high expectations. Alexander Winters made the devil of New York as a child, I was eight when sent from home across the ocean cut off from all relatives, and forced to become an independent adult with no one to protect me except for myself, by ten I wanted nothing to do with him. I was angry, and cunning, I was exactly who the media calls me. I got in brawls bi weekly, and my father would yell at me twice as often, if not daily for periods" he says pursing his lips set in a tight line.

"I had to be the perfect child, the perfect student, the perfect athlete. I learned to feel nothing, and internalize emotions as a child, by thirteen I was allowed to come home for my Eighth Grade year, and less then a month after I was home he was dead, along with my mother. Anger turned into resentment which led me to be the epitome of what I don't want Nathan to ever turn into. I never want to see any of my children get to that dark of a place. Then again it took two years to undo eight years of trauma" Adrian says looking to Olivia who smiled lightly.

It was a pure exchange, one that showed no words could truly capture the gratitude that was being given to one another.

"So your whole reputation came from a traumatic childhood" I say and Adrian nodded.

"Yes, I needed the cycle of anger and violence to end with me" he says.

"How do I stop that".

"Give him a calm life, the one that he's always wanted. A simple life, with a home that doesn't speak of work or money, a life where disappearing to the Maldives is enjoyed and treated as a gift. But also one where no matter how hard either of your lives get you back one another through it all" Olivia answers and Adrian nods.

"Be yourself Miss Hamilton, and never change, Nathan may not speak often but it's always been clear just how important you are too him, and how much you love him" Adrian says.

I then nod as an assurance to Nathan's parents, both of who smiled at me in their own way.

"How do your parents treat you Arilynn?" Adrian asks, and I see a glimmer of observation, and sympathy as if he's confirming a theory.

Guess Nathan's remark might be true.

"My own dad made me into a show daughter and wanted to have me take over the family business, while I wanted to and have gone into modelling thanks to Nathan's help. My mom can be critical of me, but I've chosen to avoid them entirely, they are originally from Chicago, and well I'm here in New York, it's starting to be where my career is being formed" I say and both Winters parents smile.

"Keep them as far from you and Nathan, and I'm sure nothing like what is going on between me and Kennith Louviere will ever happen" Adrian says with an amused sardonic smirk.

"I'll remember that" I say with a smile, "also I should head back to New York, Nathan and I were supposed to head back to Boston today".

"Give him a hug for me" Olivia says before standing.

"I will Olivia" I say before the coffee haired woman hugged me and then let go taking with her the slight feeling of what I imagine a loving mother felt like.

"You have a safe drive Arilynn, tell him to not take after his old man" Adrian remarks with a dry mirthful laugh.

"I will try to convince him" I say as I walked towards the entryway of the house.

As I walked out, and down to my car before looking back both of them stood waving from the large window above the garage entrance as I backed out, and once more I was reminded how much they welcomed me as family.

Alrighty mates I am done this update, it's a longer one so I hope it's enjoyed, also I am so glad my exams are over. Comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace