Chapter Seventeen

Walking out of the school at the end of the day led me to going towards fencing practice with August who had promised to drag Arden and Zavier along. I also knew that I could really only hope for that because those two were often busy teasing Theo for the several interactions with Michael that he's had in the past week.

Crossing the damp grass my uniform in a duffel bag and my sabre tucked under my arm as I walked towards the building I was going to.

"Nathan!" August calls and I turn around to face him.

"August" I call back and he jogs over to where I was falling in step beside me.

"I don't know how I feel facing you" he admits.

"Scared Giovanni" I tease.

"Go fuck yourself" he shoots back and I just smirk.

"What a lovely suggestion" I muse holding open the door for him as we entered a wing of the school and made our way to a large hall with mats and drawn lines to show the area.

On each was a pair of fencers going at one another metallic clicks filling the room before someone calls to stop.

"Nathan, August nice of you to join us, please call me Chris" head of the Crimson Fencing Club Christan Sterling walked over to us.

"What level would you say you're at?" he asks looking between us.

"Intermediate" August says setting his bag down on a bench.

"I'm alright" I shrug while August gives me a look as if I was joking.

"We'll see about that, I will go against both of you to determine who you will practice with" Chris says looking at us as if sizing us up.

"Get changed" he orders and walks off to assess the others.

Opening my bag I put on my black uniform and picking up my sabre before walking over to Chris who was adjusting someone's hand positioning and movement.

"What mat?" I ask and he turns around.

"All black that's ambitious hoping to stick out more" someone comments.

"Just making sure you know where I am when I best you" I retort calmly and Chris chuckles.

"He's the best fencer here I wouldn't test that" he laughs.

"At least I know who I'm seeking to dismount" I muse while following Chris, August not far behind us.

Getting to a mat Chris pulls down his mask and we both salute one another before coming to guard.

"Whenever you're ready?" I smirk from behind my mask.

"Achtung" he declares and it doesn't last long before I have him pinned and past the line in a little over twelve seconds.

Could have been better I was weak on pushing.

Pulling his mask up Chris looks at me along with most of the club.

"Have we ever fenced before?" he asks regarding me carefully.

And I remove my mask giving him a small smile.

"Perhaps, twelve seconds by the way" I say and get off of the mat.

"There is only one person who I know of who counts how long fencing matches are" Chris remarks and I see the flash of recognition on his face.

"Whose that Christian?" I say my face going stony while daring him to say it.

"Nathanial Win-" he begins before I hear someone shush him.