He had no expectations. He was just glad, so very glad, to get to spend time with Rue. That Rue was there with him was a gift to him, and to get to know him, spend time with him, was already more than he ever thought possible.

Rue had been nervous about the date, especially since the only one he's been on was the one he'd had with Luca. But this was different. When Arlo took his hand to help him down the stoney path to the beach, his skin felt warm and tingly. He found himself to be almost disappointed when Arlo let go.

The little things Arlo did without thinking did not go unnoticed. In fact, they made him feel safe, treasured. When they sat down, he layed out the blankets and had Rue sit down first. He wrapped a warm blanket around him and leaned a hot water bottle against his back because didn't want him to catch a cold. He made him hot cocoa over the fire from real chocolate. He gave Rue as many marshmallows as he wanted, after he let him try them for the first time. The tasted like sweet clouds. And he told him to blow on the cocoa before he drank it, because it was hot. The actions were small, but they showed Rue the kindness that Arlo always showed the people in his life. And Rue was now one of them.

Arlo was always caring. Always kind. He would always help someone else if he could. And on that date, Rue found out that he needn't worry about Arlo. He would be safe with him. And the nerves he felt, the way his heart jumpstarted whenever Arlo looked at him, the way he lost his words - none of that happened because he felt unsafe. It was because he liked him, though it would be some time before he realised it, or could admit it to himself. Nevertheless, he was actually enjoying himself.

Later when he was home once more, Rue realised something. Not once during their date had he thought about the past, about what he'd been through. He had not had a single negative thought. His body and mind had lived in the moment and when it was over, he found his heart fluttered whenever he thought about that night.

Arlo came by often to see him and the children as well. They went on dates every week after that. Sometimes they took the children with them, and sometimes one of their friends watched them for him. Arlo took great care to plan their dates, to find new experiences for them. And for the kids, if it was a date that included them.

It wasn't until Rick had pointed it out one day, that Rue realised something. He had been smiling to himself. The very thought of Arlo made him smile. It was not a conscious act, but a result of his soul and heart agreeing with Arlo's presence in his life. His heart felt lighter every day and he found that he didn't worry as much. He didn't let the investigations and that whole mess bother him anymore. Life was too short and nothing would come from him losing sleep over things he could do nothing about.

——

Rue had learned so much about love and the many forms it takes on. He once greatly feared that his best friend's family expanding meant he had lost his place. That his friend would no longer have room for him in his life and that he would be a burden. He was wrong. It was in fact the complete opposite. Rick and Penelope love him, and having a child only meant their hearts would grow bigger and more loving. Their family would keep changing and expanding, as most families do, but to them, Rue would not and could not be replaced. He was the foundation in their lives, and they found that without him, it felt like the world was crumbling around them. Their happiness was something they wanted Rue to be part of. He was an instrumental part of it, and without him, nothing felt the same. They wanted him there with them every step of the way. They didn't want just anyone; they wanted him. But it wasn't enough just thinking it or feeling it. Rick and Penelope learned they to say it, show it. If offering nothing up, then there was no way for the other person to know how they felt.

By learning to be vocal about their feelings, however small, they grew closer. Their bonds forged. They made sure to make time for each other. Rick and Penelope knew too much had gone unsaid for too long, and there was much about Rue they would never understand. They were too different. He had seen, felt and otherwise experienced things they could scarcely imagine.