Chapter 50 pt 2

Life as a parent was treating Rue well. Silas and Revel had cried a lot in the beginning, once they realised their mother wasn't coming home for a long time. But they were used to her being away at work, so they adapted well. They comforted each other and spoke to each other in their own way. They held hands a lot, and Rue found that adorable. They truly were a set. There was a bond between them that anyone could see.

The two took to Rue quickly and he wondered sometimes if it was because their mother and he are siblings. Perhaps there was something between siblings that adults could not see, but children could.

Rebecca continued to fight the cancer hard, showing it who's boss, and for the time being, it was running for the hills. Rue had taken Mica and James to see her, and though she was embarrassed, they wouldn't hear of it. They took to her quickly and they adored little Silas and Revel. "Two more grandchildren and another daughter," Mica had said at the end of their first meeting. "We'll be coming here as often as we can."

Later on, other members of the Aphelions had come to see her as well. As often as she had the energy to receive them, there were always people willing to come visit her.

She was growing stronger every day, and she fought hard because now she had hope. Her children were safe and extremely well looked after. She suspected they might become a little spoiled, but then again, there is no way a child can be spoiled with love. They have an endless capacity to receive it, and it is one of their most basic needs.

Her children were with family and no one would be coming to say she was an unfit mother and take them away. She had a brother and that was a blessing in and of itself. Thanks to him, her life was saved. She was saved because her soul was.

She now has a home to come back to, and a job waiting for her, whenever she was able to work again. She could choose to work with Rue, at his apartment building, at Freedom or in the restaurant with Rick and Arlo. She was sure there was little Rue would not do for her, and she knew she would never be able to repay him. But they were family now, and in real families, you help each other out.

Rebecca's life changed when she got the letter from Rue, and she marvelled at all that she had been blessed with since. The future was bright and she had so much to live for. Her dark night of the soul turned out to be, not the ending she thought, but the beginning of a life as bright as the sun itself.

——

Arlo and Rue met up often, and one day, he came over with a surprise. Penelope had phoned him and said it was time to get Rue's creation back to him. Both because they needed to prepare for the imminent birth, and because it had been waiting long enough. When he brought Rue back his precious one, beautifully and lovingly mended with gold, Rue had been speechless. He had been so moved by his actions and Arlo's apology, that he agreed to let him take him out on a proper date.

Arlo honoured Rue's feelings of not feeling ready for him or for anything, with all that had happened, and was actually very happy to take things slow. He had always dreamed of a slow romance. To be able to court someone and take his time showing them how precious they are. Too much in life is done in haste. We expect everything to be done yesterday. And love was an everyday miracle that in his humble opinion, should never be rushed. He brought Rue flowers often. Every week he left a handwritten letter in his mailbox. And lately, he kissed his cheek or his hand whenever they met.

On that first date, he had arranged a picnic fit for kings. He had taken Rue to a beach where they could watch the sun setting and the stars shine. He brought thermal blankets with them to sit on, ingredients for cocoa with marshmallows to drink, and even some hot water bottles to make sure they didn't get cold. He built them a fire so that their cocoa would be warm enough.