"And it is nice to meet you two young souls as well." He said to the little ones by her feet. They were adorable and very small. Even for their age. Their hands looked so little, so round and soft. One of them seemed a little shy, while the other grinned so wide the edges of their lips were visible on either side of their white pacifier.

"Given the contents of my letter, I feel I must ask you something. It's a little awkward, but... Did you come you here because you wished to see me, or could it be you need my help with something?" He didn't want to ask her about the bags straight away. All in good time.

"Can it be both?" Her voice nearly broke.

He could feel her despair and it made his heart ache. "Of course. I told you as much in the letter. Do you think you can tell me what is the matter?"

"I am sick. I have missed work so often that they now fired me, even though they knew the nature of my absences. When they fired me, I couldn't make rent. They weren't willing to wait so I was evicted yesterday. We didn't have much to begin with, so I cooked up the food we had left in the pantry, packed our bags and left. The three of us stayed at a friend's house for the night, but none of my friends like children, so I cannot ask them for help."

"You're sick?" Rue asked, his worry seeping through his tone.

She nodded. "I have leukaemia. I am getting better, and the chemo is helping, but I can't work and I..." She wiped her tears and tried to compose herself. She didn't want to make her brother think she was coming here just to mooch off of him. To think she was trying to use him. Finding out she had a brother was the best day in her life, second only to when her twins were born. She had been gathering her courage to come see him ever since she received the letter.

"I can't look after these two like I ought to. I wanted to see you, to meet my brother, since the moment I read your letter. All of this, it happened so quickly and I know I shouldn't put any of it on you, but I love my kids and—"

"Stop, please stop." Rue said ever so gently and guided her towards his sofa. "Sit here. Would you like something to drink? A cup of tea?"

Her tears were falling freely and the lump in her throat kept her from speaking. She nodded thankfully and Rue smiled back at her.

"How about you two come with me and let's see if we can't find you something to eat too? Do they like fruit?" He looked away from them to ask. She nodded and so he took their little hands and guided them to the kitchen area. Their little hands were so warm, and they drowned in his own.

He showed them what fruit he had at home - Rick had been adamant that he had to get a lot of vitamins as he was recovering - and had them decide which ones they wanted. They each wanted a banana. Since his cast was limiting his movements somewhat, he led them back to their mother and handed the bananas to her. "Your tea will be ready in just a minute."

They sat down and drank their tea. It was allowing them both to calm down and adapt to the situation and slight awkwardness they were both feeling.

"What hospital are you being treated at?"

"Wynder."

"That's close by." he mused and pursed his lips.

"It's sudden, but would you like to stay here? I own this apartment building and we will very soon have some flats ready to move into."

She opened her mouth and closed it before she placed her head in her hands and sobbed. "I am sorry. I shouldn't be asking this of you. The doctors want to admit me for this stage of the treatment plan. I don't want them to call social services on me, and unless I find someone to care for these two, someone they'll approve of, they will. I can't lose my children, and I can't have them enter the foster system. I might never get them out."