Sixteen

Author's Note: Thank you to those who have hung around despite my super long hiatus. I appreciate and love you!

P.S. Don't forget to vote and (if you're not feeling shy) comment!

"You've been avoiding me."

Chris' deep voice sends a shiver down my spine and my mind spins. Wetness makes itself known where it shouldn't be, and I scrunch my hands to keep from slipping them beneath the waistband of my pants to relieve the pressure. Just hearing his voice has always made me wet, but knowing what he can do with his mouth... I shudder a second time and wish for a repeat.

I'd spread my legs right now and give him what he wants if I knew something good could come of it. Yet, I remain where I'm standing and hope for the best. Levi's words still sting, and where they've burned through my brain is an open wound. Ryker has reached out twice. He wants to know what's going on between me and Levi, as if I'd tell Ryker what he said...

Death. That's all Levi would have in his future, and if he didn't kill him, he'd more than certainly maim him. Despite the hurtfulness of his words, I still wish nothing best for Levi.

The past few years, he'd been next to me through this entire venture. I'd established a company and used the money my parents left behind to create something better. I want to save others from the same fate they'd experience, and perhaps, spare their children.

"Hello?"

I jerk, hopping away from Gatin's broad frame as he moves into my personal space for the second time. He looks as bad as I feel. Dark circles line his eyes and there's something about the depths of his gaze...

"What are you doing down here?" I ask. "How are you down here?"

He shrugs, crowding around me again, but I don't step away. I can't. He's already pushed me once, and I know he's doing this to get under my skin.

"I think the better question is: how did I, as the head of your private security, not know this place existed an hour ago?"

"It's strictly need to know, and you didn't need to know." I send a suspicious glance his way. "I'm still not sure you need to know."

I'm curious who told him, but I already know the answer. Outside of me, Ryker is the only one privy to this room's location and its purpose. There are so many secrets in my world.

If Gatlin knew them all, would he stay?

"What do you do here?"

"I..."

Pausing, I take in the sights. There's little here in this room, nothing really. I stand in the middle of a raised, round platform—three steps high—fashioned from a solid block of white marble. Cracks of gold run through, spidering through cleverly crafted cracks to give it an older look and feel.

The walls are painted a solid white curve inward to create a sphere shape. There are thousands upon thousands of tiny pinholes holding LED lights. A few hundred are lit now, cascading moving images of coding, mathematical projections and an embarrassingly accurate image of what my mind remembered about what happened two days ago.

"That memory has kept me awake for the past few nights," Gatlin admits, easing closer to me. His cologne sinks into my nostrils and sends my senses to high heaven. "I want more than a memory."

"That's all it'll ever be, Gatlin." My throat hurts to repeat my words. He needs to stay away from me. Catrina is returning in the next day and she won't be pleased to hear Levi's accusation.

Shit. My stomach roils ruefully. They aren't just rumors anymore.

He'd kissed me. Twice. Once on my face, coaxing more out of my lips in a few minutes than she had in years. And the second where she'd been begging to go.