"Ah, stop," I say, feeling giddy.

His way with words – how he manages to come up with witty replies that can make my heart flutter – never ceases to amaze me.

"Never," he says, making me smile.

"So when will you come back?" I ask.

"In about an hour's time."

"Have you eaten anything?"

"No."

"Mum made lasagna. Maybe you and I can eat that when you come back."

"Yes. I can't wait."

Me neither, but I do not tell him that.

"I'll see you later then," I say.

"Alright, my little moon."

The call disconnects and I go to my room to study. But when about forty-five minutes pass, the loudest ever boom erupts in the air, startling me. I shoot up from my seat and dash to the window. I have been so immersed in my studies that I did not realise that it has been pouring outside.

A flash strikes the sky and, a few seconds later, another boom hits my ears.

But only one thing crosses my mind.

Or rather, person.

Reece.

I bolt to the living room and call Reece.

He doesn't pick up, which worries me because he always picks up my calls, no matter when I call him.

I dial again with a shaky hand and wait.

Still no answer.

Praying desperately for his well-being, I call again one more time.

Again, no answer.

Slamming the phone down, I head outside, not caring that I forgot to fetch an umbrella, not caring that I'm only wearing pyjamas and slippers, not caring that the freezing cold weather prickles my exposed skin.

I can barely make out the view in front of me, given that it is raining heavily, but I manage to run down the street without tripping over or bumping into anything, with my mind plagued by the horrible possibilities of what Reece is going through.

As I leave the neighbourhood, making my way to Dave's club, I immediately halt when I notice the front lights of a stationary car from a distance, parked just on the outskirt of the forest where Reece and I used to play a lot in when we were kids.

Frowning, I head to the car warily, but when I approach it close enough, I immediately recognise it as Reece's car. In an instant, I open the front door and spot Reece sitting on the driver's seat opposite to me, with his eyes shut tight and his head resting against the stirring wheel. His breathes are ragged and his body trembles violently. Drops of sweat cling onto his pale face.

"Hey, hey, hey, it's ok," I say in a quivering tone, entering his car and slamming the door shut behind me, relieved that I managed to find him without much difficulty.