SIXTEEN

"Happy birthday, Nia! Happy Birthday Nia! Happy birthday dear Nia! Happy birthday to you!" All sang around the teary eyed baby who tuned everyone out only focusing on wiping her tears away

"Where's Keane-y!? I want Keane-y!" The tantrum throwing girl said slightly pushing her cake aside which had "10" written on it.

"Naiara, you know it's raining outside, I'm sure Keane would be-"

*RING*

Everyone's attention diverted to the flashing phone in the dim lit room.

"It's Keane-" Amara said only for Naiara's eyes to widen and almost jumping to the couch to get the phone.

But, Amara got there before her. Brushing off her hair from her ear and holding up her phone to her ear.

"Yes.... Yeah, she's not listening to either of us... Okay hurry back..... Yep. Stay safe... Bye. Bye."

"What'd he say!? He forgot didn't he?"

"No Nia. He said he's coming. There's alot of water on the streets. It's hard for him to drive so quick here from his office. He should drive slow.... You know na, we shouldn't drive fast in the rain, it's-"

"-dangerous... Yes I know." The birthday girl mumbled softly looking down at her feet.

"Good girl. Now come, let's cut the cake."

"Not without Keane."

"It'll take time for him to come here, love."

"Not without Keane." Naiara spoke and walked to the stairs in front of the door, sitting on the second last step, eyes sharp at the door. Wanting to be the first one to greet him.

Amara's eyes found Keith who looked apologetically at his mother.

"Oh, it's fine honey. I'd be surprised if she didn't complain about him and got straight to cutting the cake. Don't worry. Let's wait."

Amara's mom nodded squeezing her daughter's shoulder.

•••••••

It struck 7pm. It had been 2 hours, and all they had was a 2 hour ago call from Keane.

They didn't wanna call him again, disturbing him. Amara prepared dinner in the mean time with her mother and mother in law. While Keith attended some conference meetings.

The little birthday bunny?... Fell asleep on the stairs, her head leaning on the railing. Cheeks stained with tears.

Too much into deep sleep to not realize the front door opening and closing and soft pitter patter  approaching her.

"Baby bunny." He shook her but she whined.

He laughed lightly and poked her soft chubby cheeks. "Baby bunny." He whispered in her ear, pecking her closed eye lids.