18: Welcome to The Team

Today is the day I'm finally going to ask Wyndy out on a date. I have prepared and rehearsed a short poem I'm going to say to her before asking her out so it sounds more romantic. I've delayed this for long enough and since I'm not getting anywhere in finding my invention, I might as well make my move before Alasdair beats me to it. I can't lose on both sides.

"What are you thinking about friend? Don't overthink this, just do it," Travis tells me when he notices how nervous I am.

Nathan walks up to us and greets us cheerfully. Doesn't he get tired of smiling so hard all the time?

"So, Avan, wanna hang out after school?" He asks me.

"Maybe some other time. I have a date today. Sorry Nate."

"It's fine, we can hang out some other time like you said." He turns to Travis. "Omg, Travis! I can't believe I get to be this close to you. I'm a huge fan."

"Thanks?"

"Can I get an autograph?"

"Uh, what's an autograph?" Travis looks to me for an explanation.

"It's the signature of someone you admire, especially if that person is a celebrity," I explain.

"And you're kinda like a celebrity in this school," Nathan adds.

"Um, okay." Travis signs on Nathan's shirt with the marker he gave him and he grins with excitement.

"Thank you so much! I'm never washing this shirt so I don't wash off the autograph," Nathan says and walks away.

"Celebrities in your universe are really nice to give autographs for free, the ones in my universe would literally charge you for a selfie or a picture with them."

"And people pay for that?"

"Yeah, diehard fans. And the worst part is that the money goes to the government, though they get a certain percentage."

"The government in your universe sure is autocratic. It literally controls everything."

"But if the so called celebrities really loved their fans, they wouldn't charge them for pictures since they know the money isn't even theirs."

"You said they get a certain percentage so I guess they earn a lot of money from the pictures."

"It's still not fair to the fans."

"Who cares about the fans?"

We remain silent as we take our textbooks from our lockers in preparation for our morning classes.

"Nathan seems weird," Travis suddenly remarks.

"That's just how Nathan is," I tell him.

"Not just that. There's something eerie about him that I can't quite place my finger on."

"You don't like him? He's a fan."

"It's not that I don't like him, I'm just getting this strange feeling about him. I feel like he's not who people think he is."

"And what do you feel like he is?"

"I don't know, but I bet it's not as nice and bubbly as his facade."

"Come on, give the guy a break. He literally doesn't have any friends and is trying so hard to make some."

Travis shrugs. "I'm just saying what I feel."

The bell rings for the first period and we head to class but the sound of Austin's voice stops us. We look back to see her and Wyndy hurrying towards us.