10: Invention MIA

It can't be. My invention was right here before I left for the party. I frantically search my room for it, upturning everything in sight but still not able to find it. Maybe Travis knows where it is. I shake him awake and hold his shoulders.

"Travis! Travis, get up!"

With sleepy eyes he scowls at me and attempts to fall asleep but I continue shaking him. He groans and turns his back to me.

"Please get up," I plead, while shaking him harder. "We have a huge problem."

He pops one eye open and asks, "What problem?"

"I can't find my invention!"

"What?!"

"I can't find my invention!"

He throws the sheets off himself and jumps out of bed. "What do you mean you can't find your invention?"

"I can't find it anywhere in this room! Do you perhaps know where it is?"

"Of course, it's right there," Travis says and points to the place where it was meant to be and is surprised to see the microwave there.

"That's a good looking microwave. Whose is it?" He asks.

"I have no idea, but that is not the main issue here."

Travis searches the entire room and is also not able to find the invention. He stands in the middle of the room with his hands on his hips, a confused expression on his face.

"What is going on here? Who could have replaced your invention with this microwave?"

"That is what I also want to know."

"Is this some kind of dream? Maybe if we go back to sleep, everything would go back to normal."

"This is not a dream, Travis, we just got back from Chris' party and none of us has fallen asleep yet."

"Have you asked Austin?" Travis asks.

"I haven't. I will do that now," I say as I walk briskly to her room, forgetting to knock but thankfully, she still has her clothes on and is just wiping off her makeup.

"Don't you know how to knock?" She inquires and I apologize for barging into her room unannounced.

"State your business here and leave," she orders.

"I can't find my invention. Do you perhaps know where it is?"

Austin laughs so hard that I have to look around to see if there is something in the room making her laugh. There is nothing. I look back at her confused.

What is so funny?

"You can't find your invention and you seriously think I would know where it is?"

"I was just wondering if you've seen it or would by chance know where it is."

"I don't. Why don't you check your room or something?"

"Do you think I haven't searched my room? I literally turned it upside down looking for the invention," I say, running my hands through my hair.

Austin looks somewhat genuinely concerned. "That sounds serious. Maybe you should search the entire house, you probably left it somewhere and forgot."

"That's very unlikely cause I never take it out of my room but that's a good idea," I say and run out of the room.

* * * * *

Travis and I are sitting at the foot of the stairs, tired and confused after searching the entire house and unable to find the invention anywhere.