9: Truth or Dare

"I've been looking all over for you," Austin says as she walks towards us.

Did she really have to come here now of all times? This was the one chance I had and she just ruined it.

"Are you okay?" She asks Wyndy.

"I'm fine. Avan's been keeping me company while you hang out with your boyfriend."

Austin groans. "I am so sorry Wyn."

"It's fine, he's been great company," Wyndy says, and I smile.

"What are you guys doing back here? The party's inside."

"We just wanted to get some fresh air, the party was getting a little stuffy. Why were you looking for me?"

"We were just about to play a game of truth or dare and I thought it'd be fun if you joined us."

"I'd love to!" Wyndy pipes up and at the same time jumps up from the bench. "Come on, Avan, let's go!"

"Yeah, come on, loverboy," Austin says sarcastically as she and Wyndy go back into the house, giggling amongst themselves. I sigh and follow them in.

* * * * *

By the time we get back to the party, the sofas are arranged in a circle with Chris and his friends seated and laughing about something. Austin occupies the spot next to him and he rests his hands on her thigh while Wyndy sits beside her. I remain standing behind Wyndy.

"Aren't you playing?" She looks up at me.

"I don't like the game," I tell her.

"Why?"

"Cause it's just a game where you are asked to do stupid crazy things and forced to reveal things you don't want to."

"That's the fun of the game."

"I'm still not playing."

"Then you can at least sit and enjoy the show." She pats the spot beside her and I sit.

"Alright everyone, let's get this game started!" Chris announces, a bottle of beer in his hand. "I would've loved us to play this game in the early hours of the morning after we have all enjoyed the party, but my girlfriend, Austin, insisted that we play it now cause she would be leaving early. And, her wish is my command so here we are."

"You are so sweet babe," Austin says and pecks him on the cheek.

"I'll start," Chris says and spins the empty bottle on the coffee table.

I watch as it stops at a blond guy I recognize from school as a friend of Chris'. His name is Thomas. He chooses truth and Chris asks him what his GPA is. Thomas starts to sweat and looks nervously at the people seated around him. By now, other people at the party start to gather round us and the DJ reduces the blaring volume of the music.

"Don't lie to us, it's called truth for a reason," Chris says with an evil smirk. "And, I'm sure it'll help you to know that I know what it is."

"Can I get another question?" Thomas requests.

"Nope, answer this one, and when it's your turn again, you can get another question."

"Don't do this to me man," he pleads but Chris insists he answers the question.

Thomas is left with no other option but to disclose that his GPA is 2.0, earning a gasp from everyone except Chris. Poor Thomas. If he had lied, Chris would've revealed the truth so there was really no escape for him. I feel bad for him, but then again, it's his fault for having such a friend like Chris. What on earth has he been doing in school that he can't even manage an average GPA?