11: Everyone is a Suspect

"This is ridiculous," Austin deadpans as she sits in the 'interrogation chair' in my room. Travis and I invited her and my parents to my room for a harmless interrogation session. It took a lot of convincing to get her to come to my room for her session.

"Just answer the following questions and you can leave. It won't take more than two minutes," I tell her and she folds her arms.

"Go ahead."

"So, Austin, you are aware that your brother's invention has gone missing and we believe that it is because someone who knows about it must have told someone who isn't supposed to know about it," Travis says and Austin rolls her eyes.

"Did you really have to wear that stupid hat?" She jerks her head towards the hat on his head.

"Yes, it makes me feel like a detective."

"Can we just get this over with? I've been sitting here for five minutes and you haven't asked me any questions."

"That brings me to my question. Who have you told about Avan's invention?"

"Nobody."

"Think of the times when it must have slipped. You have to tell us so we can know where to start," I say.

To my surprise, Austin actually thinks for a moment before looking back at me.

"I don't think I've consciously or unconsciously told anyone about your invention. You made it clear that we keep it private."

"Are you sure you haven't told anyone?" Travis probes.

"No."

"And you also haven't told Chris?"

"I only told him you were done with your invention because he asked. And when he asked what it does I told him I had no idea."

"That would be the end of your interrogation. You can leave now. Thank you."

Austin scoffs and struts out of my room while flipping her hair.

Next we interrogate my parents together. I question them about whether they might have felt the urge to brag about me to their braggadocios friends. They both scoff and look at each other before bursting into fits of laughter. Mom assures me that as tempting as it was for them to do so, they didn't. She reckoned that it would be more fulfilling to brag about me when I win the contest.

"Looks like it's Wyndy who's left," Travis says after my parents leave the room.

"Do we call her here or do we go to her?" He asks.

"I'll go to her. She works during the weekend so I don't want her to go through the trouble of coming here just to be interrogated."

"Do you want me to come with you? Cause I feel like you're just going to end up staring at her pretty face instead of questioning her."

"No, you don't have to come with me."

"That reminds me, you haven't told me what happened between you and Wyndy last night. I noticed that you two were getting all lovey-dovey," Travis says, wriggling his brows suggestively.

I smile at the thought of last night and tell him about what a magical night it was and how it is one of the best nights of my life. I tell him about how we talked at length about a lot of things, just laughing and relishing each other's company. How we danced (more like how Wyndy danced with me) and the rush of excitement that accompanied it. Travis listens attentively and with a pleasant smile on his face.

"I'm happy for you, friend. You got to have a meaningful conversation, share a drink and dance with the girl of your dreams all in one night."

I scratch the back of my head sheepishly. I wish I could relive last night so I can see the heart warming smile on her face and the unmistakable sparkle in her eyes when she talked about the things and places she loved. And also how her eyes seemed to dilate when she looked into mine, or maybe I was just seeing things.