7: Party People

"Done! And with four hours, twenty minutes to spare," I say as soon as I'm done fixing my invention and heave a huge sigh of relief. I have never felt so fulfilled my entire life. I now have the chance to participate and win in the contest. And even if I do not win, it's still a huge win for me because my invention would be made known to the world and I would also get to become a recognized inventor thereby becoming a member of the IAI. It's almost like a dream come true.

"That's great! I'm happy for you friend," Travis says and shakes my hand.

"And I'm so happy I'm finally back on track to compete at one of the two biggest inventing competitions in the world!" I exclaim.

"What is the other big inventing contest?" Travis asks.

"The Global Inventors Contest of course, but it's for adults above twenty which is why they introduced the Global Young Inventors Contest for teenagers," I explain.

"So what is the grand prize for winning this contest?"

"Well, there's the huge cash prize of half a million dollars—"

Travis whistles. "That's a whole lot of money."

I take a breath before I begin to mention the perks of becoming the winner of the contest, "It sure is. Then there's the recognition and fame that comes with winning such a prestigious award, the access to first class equipment and labs for invention, fully funded researches, and, having the title of a renowned inventor. Not to mention I would also get a sponsorship into any university of my choice when I graduate high school!

"Winning this contest comes with a lot of perks and that's why young inventors from around the world put in their very best to produce an invention that would not only blow people's minds, but become an innovative scientific breakthrough which would be of importance to the world and to mankind."

"Wow, that's huge, but it also requires a lot of hard work and brainpower," Travis says.

"Yes, which is why it took me two weeks to come up with the plan for my invention, and eight months to build it. It was no small task but I'm glad it turned out perfectly. All my hardwork paid off and it's going to pay even more when I win the award," I say, feeling proud of myself.

"If I win, I'll become the youngest member of the IAI," I muse.

"I really do hope you win this award and I'll be there to cheer you every step of the way."

"Thanks, that means a lot."

"By the way, what is the dress code for the party so I can get prepared for it?" Travis asks.

I chuckle. "There are no dress codes for parties in this universe, unless it's a costume party where there is a theme everyone has to dress by. Other than that, you can wear whatever you feel like, it's a free world and it's a free country. Besides, it's just a party organized by a lousy seventeen year old so even if you were to go in just your underwear, he wouldn't give a damn."

This earns a hearty laugh from Travis. "Why would I show up at a party in just my underwear?"

"Some crazy teens do it just to give others a good laugh. It's not something new at teenage parties." I shrug.

"I'll just wear whatever I lay my hands on and hope it's not a fashion blunder," he says with a chuckle.

"That's what Austin's here for, she's the fashion police around here. No one leaves this house wearing mismatched clothes or unflattering color combos, at least not if she can help it," I tell him and he smiles.

"Then I'll seek her opinion on what to wear to the party."

"She'd be more than glad to help you with that."