1

"Where were you?" Tonowari says looking down at his son. Ao'nung just scoffs. "Look at me boy"

"What" his son groans a scuff on his cheek.

"Another fight?"

"Father I.."

"How many times have I told you..."

"Stop! I don't want to listen to you bitch about..."

"Watch your mouth! You seem to have forgotten who feeds it"

"Then I'll leave. I don't need you to always hold it over my head"

And with that Ao'nung storms out leaving him frustrated.

"You're a bit too hard on him" Ronal tells her husband.

"He's too much like his mother that's what it is." Tonowari responds

"And what about Tsireya?" Ronal snickers as Tonowari just rolls his eyes.

"Not this again, woman. I told you I don't want to talk about it."

Ronal just nods "Sure." She hands Tonowari a wooden box and he sighs

"I said I didn't walk to talk about it."

"Then maybe you should take the time to actually listen to it."

He doesn't have time for trivial things anymore as he puts the wooden box on the outskirts of his sleeping area. Days pass and he still has issues with Ao'nung. Tsireya tries to help but the two can't see eye to eye.

"Then don't call me your son!" Ao'nung tells slamming his fist into the support of their overwater home. The place shakes and things come tumbling over.

"Ao'nung!" Tonowari interjects but again he just jumps into the ocean. Tonowari slumps down not knowing how to deal with him.

He glanced over at the broken wooden box now sprawled out with things he wasn't ready to see.

Then a book. One he wasn't familiar with.

Yet his name is written on the inside of it.

His heart skip a beat as he turns the first page.

A photo taped of them and on the back.

"If I lived forever. I would spend that forever, searching for the soul I found in you." Written on the empty white side.

Tonowari chokes for a moment feeling the rush of emotions come back to him.

"Fuck" he says to himself wanting to throw the entire box away but also not being able to. He lives in the distant past while also trying to walk toward the future.

His hands tremble.

Does he even want to continue reading this?

"Hi Tonowari." The journal spoke "If you are reading this then that means that I'm not with you anymore and I'm sorry you are going through this by yourself."

Why can he hear her voice?

"I wanted to let you know to be kind to yourself like you always showed me. To be patient with the world and to know our great mother never makes mistakes. I wrote this book to tell you the truth, about everything and that to the very end I will always love you."

He slams the book closed not being able to deal with its contents. His heart begins to beat excessively. Tonowari's breathing starts to pick up. Hot tears begin to fall, the one that he thought he has buried away.

"My name is Wren and this is the story of us. How i fell in love with a man named Tonowari. The birth of our life and the death of it."