Infiltration

Garrison didn't exactly know what to expect when he joined the Terran Observation and Documentation Department.

He certainly didn't expect to be standing with Terrans, boarding a ship for an exploration mission.

The Parvus stood with his partner, Hayli, and the Terran crew, fidgeting nervously as the Clara Solis began to land. The rather primitive energy turbines rattled, and wind blew past Garrison's hair, before the loud whirring died down, and the starship settled with a thud.

"Alright." Captain Edgar called, getting everyone's attention. "We can all rest our legs when we get onboard."

There were multiple exhales from the Terrans, and Garrison quickly exhaled, just to blend in. What did it mean? Anger? Frustration?

"Finally!" One Terran grumbled, a throaty growl in his throat. Garrison nearly squeaked in fright. That was the sound of a predator.

"It's been far too long - my legs are stiffer than popsicle sticks!"

Popsicle sticks must be very brittle, Garrison concluded, quickly sneaking in a note on his holo-pad, weary not to reveal it to any Terrans. Being in the Observation and Documentation Department meant he had to observe the Terrans, and what they did.

Make sure they're not a threat.

He quickly scrawled a few notes on the holo-pad.

- "Popsicle sticks" may be stiff

- Sharp exhale of breath may be a sign of anger or drowsiness

- Terrans may growl when angered

"Watcha' doing?" A voice said close to him, and he yelped, swiftly swapping out his holo-pad with the clunky human device, turning it on and swiping through it, pretending it was there all along.

"Nothing r-really," He answered, hoping his lie was as normal as it sounded. "Just looking through the stuff on the tablet."

"Never touched one?" The woman's teeth flashed. "That's fine, I haven't seen this model before, either."

"It's... strange, isn't it?" Garrison commented, feeling himself sink into the flow of a conversation, exhaling slowly. "I've certainly never had this type of technology before."

"Yeah," A young man jumped in beside the woman. "It's supposedly the latest model. If you tap the side buttons, it deploys a hologram. Can you believe that? It's so advanced."

Garrison scoffed internally when he squeezed the sides of the tablet, and a poor, choppy mess of light projected onto the floor. The Terrans were wide-eyed with awe, but he couldn't help but wonder what advanced meant.

"It is... fascinating." He said.

"I've seen it so many times before," The woman said, quietly, "But it still amazes me every time."

Hayli sidled up besides Garrison. "It is quite intriguing, indeed, uhm, uh," He dipped his head in embarrassment, "May I have your names?"

"Oh! How silly of me." The woman giggled. "I'm Fiona. Nice to meet you!"

"I'm Lexi." The young man piped up, adjusting his round spectacles. "It's nice to meet you as well!"

"I'm Garrison," The Parvus said, and gestured to Hayli. "This is Hayli. It is good to meet you both." He quickly squeezed the tablet again, to disable the disappointing attempt at holographic technology.

"We should get onto the ship, shouldn't we?" Fiona said, suddenly. The Terran lady flashed her teeth at them, and Garrison found himself stiffening at the threat display. "We'd be left behind if we didn't!"