It's not the most hurtful of insults and Shane has a thick skin, but that doesn't mean it didn't affect him.

I hope Shane is having an enjoyable shower. I hope that he can enjoy the temporary bliss and wash off all the metaphorical shit of the past month or however long it's been.

I hope the warm water washes it all away as it cascades over his strong, bare shoulders, over his smooth, toned chest, dripping down-

I quickly snap myself from my train of thought and rinse out my hair, scolding myself on the direction my mind has just taken.

Maybe in another life, where we aren't cheating death every day. Maybe then, I could go down that road.

But not in this life.

I turn off the water and step out of the shower, feeling like a new person.

I dry off and pull on a white ribbed camisole crop top and a pair of boyshort panties. I grab one of the white bathrobes from the shelf and throw it on and tie the belt. 

I pick up my things and head down the busy hall.

As people come and go from their rooms, I see I'm not the only one in a bathrobe.

Still annoyed at myself for my shower fantasy, I ignore the urge to look in Shane's room as I reach my door and enter my room.

I pack everything back into my bag, except my boots.

Some of the others have unpacked but I can't bring myself to. This place is too new and unknown to settle in so soon.

I pull on a pair of socks and leave my room, towel drying my hair.

Shane's door being opposite mine, I allow myself a quick look as I exit my room.

His door is closed.

I stand and stare at it for a moment while I dry my hair.

"Mmm, wasn't that just divine?" Jacqui says, as she comes down the hall from one of the bathrooms.

I look to her and chuckle. She's in a bathrobe, a towel wrapped around her head and slippers on her feet.

"You look like you're at a five star hotel." I joke.

"As far as I'm concerned honey, I am."

I laugh at her as she comes and stands beside me.

Jacqui looks from me to Shane's door.

"Everything okay?" she asks.

"Yeah.. I just.. He's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders." I answer softly, mindlessly twisting the towel in my hands.

Jacqui tilts her head.

"Everyone looks to him to lead, you know?" I elaborate. "He's handled it well but.. He's still gone through whatever we've gone through but he's had to keep it together. Because people were depending on him, for safety, for answers. It's a lot for one person. I worry about him.."

It feel strange, speaking my mind about Shane out loud, to another person.

"He's gonna be fine, honey." Jacqui says and I look at her, already feeling defensive as she proves my point of how everyone disregards his feelings. "He has you." she adds and I furrow my brows. "He's his brightest self around you."

I stare at Jacqui as I process her unexpected words. 

"..Maybe that's because I bothered to take the time to get to know him, to talk to him." I reply.

"I think maybe you just bring out the best in him, Mia." she says with a soft smile and my eyes drift back to his door.

"It's like Jim said-" she continues. "-you're just what we need. Maybe some more than others?"