Ten - The First of Many Car Rides

Start from the beginning

We were both crying so hard, neither of us noticed Brooks sitting at the island, eating. I used my sweatshirt sleeves to dry my face and I looked at my mom with a smile. I was thankful she did notice a lot, even if we didn't get to talk as much as we wanted to. "I promise I will see if I can bring down my time at work."

"Mom, really, it's okay. You own a company, I know it's hard to take down your hours during the busy time of the year." I told her as I ate my breakfast.

"I know, but I want to be here for you, like a mother should be. I should have said something sooner about what I'd seen from you."

I finished my breakfast and put it in the sink, hugging her once more. "Mom, I will be okay. I have my girls and a new girl," I paused, unsure how to word how Jamie and I were now friends. "that got two timed by Zach with me...she knows what I went through, cuz she went through the exact same thing at the same time."

My mom frowned, anger in her eyes, "He did what? He not only treated you poorly, but he was seeing another girl and doing the same thing to her?" I could tell she was going to explode. I have a feeling she was going to call my dad and vent to him. When they were on good terms, they actually acted like a normal married couple, even if they were divorced.

I heard a car horn and looked at Brooks, "Finish up, our ride is here." I told him. He nodded, stuffing his face with the rest of his bacon and chugging his orange juice.

My mom's attitude changed in a second, "Ride?"

I nodded, "Yeah, a friend is taking Brooks and I. He helped me Friday...a lot actually. Made sure I was taking care of myself." I chewed the inside of my cheek, nervous at her reaction.

The silence between us was deafening. And then she smiled, "Alright. I'm glad someone looked after you on Friday. Is this ride thing gonna be a normal thing? Cuz if it is, I'd like to meet this friend of yours."

I nodded, "You'll meet him Wednesday. He's Brooks' reading buddy for the year. Remember, they're coming to the houses this year?" The horn honked again, "Okay, we really need to run. I love you, mom. Tell dad I love him too when you talk to him."

"I will, sweetheart. Stay safe and I love you too." She blew Brooks and I kisses and we left the front door.

I saw Maddox standing at the passenger side of the car, waiting to let me in. He wore his football sweatshirt, which I don't think I'd ever seen him wear and his hair was his usual hot mess of a birds nest. It suited him though and I found it quite attractive. I noticed him looking me up and down, trying to figure out what was different. I smiled softly and he frowned, "You okay? Your eyes are puffy and your nose is red."

"I'm alright. Spoke to my mom about Zach. We had a crying session. But I'm okay, really. I feel like myself again, minus the scaring." I got into the Jeep and pulled my legs in, so Maddox could close the door.

I looked behind me and saw Brooks all ready to go. I chuckled and Maddox got in the drivers side. He looked at me closely and narrowed his brows. "I can't figure out what's different with you today, Em."

I laughed, "I don't have make-up on, Mad. And my hair is up. I never dressed like this after Zach and I started seeing each other. He wanted me to look a certain way, but I couldn't show skin much." I bit my lip, "I wanted to be a slob for once this semester. I wanted to feel like me again."

"You never look like a slob, even now. But it is nice to see you smiling and not those fake ones that never reached your eyes." He commented and left my driveway.

I blushed, trying to hide the fact that I really enjoyed that comment from him. "Thanks," I mumbled into my hands.

"You're welcome. I never understood why girls needed make-up. They don't. You don't. You look beautiful just the way you are."