Chapter 16: His Return

Kai

Katherine threw a spell at Curtis, sending him flying. It wasn't anything strong, just a spell to test out the shield I set up.

"Heyy Kai not bad. Who knew you had some mechanic skills in that little head of yours." Doradrea complimented

I only smiled awkwardly, trying to keep my shy but useful façade.

"So do we think it will be strong enough to hold back my beastwill?" Curtis said, patting his bonds back.

"It should, yeah" I replied simply.

"Nice job Kai" Claire said lightly shoving me.

"Thanks?"

The disciplinary committee got in fighting stances. We were preparing for a mock fight, just in case, as Claire pointed out dozens of time in the last day.

I tugged at the mana in more core, ready to release it at a moments notice.

The others looked on their toes as well.

"Ready," Claire shouted, "Figh-"

The sudden rumbling of the ground cut her off.

At first it was light, something more of a large mana beast crashing onto the ground.

Quickly the rumbling became more violent and turned into shacking. Pieces of stone started to form small cracks on the ground.

"What's happing?" Curtis shouted through the sound of the earth shacking.

"I don't know"

"Is it an attack?"

But before they could ask any questions the shacking became worse.

The ground started erupting stone, simply breaking it and letting it fly off from the ground.

Curtis, Katherine, Clair and others got slammed onto the ground, including me.

Everyone was shouting in cries of help, casting mana to try and prevent parts of the school from crashing down on them.

Suddenly the shaking stopped, as if an earthquake simply came and passed.

"What was that?"

"Is it over?"

The committee asked.

But before anyone could even say something, anything. Claire spoke up.

"Um guys...look at the sky."

As I looked I noticed crimson red clouds moving their way over us. The sky quickly turning pitch black.

Then, screams filled our ears. Students and teachers alike started screeching in pain as an unknown source of magic flew at them.

Well, it wasn't unknown to me, I thought with a smirk.

"Where are the screams coming from?"

"I thought the earthquake stopped."

"What is this mana signature...it's so, powerful."

"Guys settle down, in order to understand what is going on, we have to get out of this shield." Claire said, pointing at the now flickering red light.

"Kai, turn off the shield." She commanded

I ran to the center of the shield and opened the control box.

"Um guys...I don't think we can get out of here." I said nervously.

"What? Why" Curtis said, anger leaking into his voice.

"It seems like the shaking messed with the wiring. The shutoff system is completely damaged." I lied