Chapter 17

"You saw how bold she was, so I was afraid that... she might be cruel to the prince or princess later on."

A hand slightly covered the Lady Valea's mouth as a small chuckle left her lips. The nobles who were close enough to hear what the mistress just said all erupted in a wave of whispers. Imagining her child to be a future royal? It was entirely ridiculous.

Her eyes glimmered with amusement to see the Emperor look at Rashta angrily. Even he was furious at what she just said. After all of the things she had witnessed, Aria was not the slightest bit surprised that she would say such a thing. You would have thought the mistress would be given at least the basic information about what she should expect while carrying the Emperor's offspring but then again, she will always manage to make a fool of herself regardless.

While looking at the couple leave the room, her eyes accidentally made contact with Ergi who only winked at her. She simply looked away as if nothing happened, too bewildered by his bold moves. Now that she thought of it, the Duke was just happily talking with the ivory haired girl just a few moments ago. She had an inkling feeling that he said something to make her react that way.

Aria's eyebrows furrowed, it had been a few weeks since she had a strange suspicion about him. Something about him doesn't make sense, and she just couldn't pinpoint to where it is exactly. She brushed off her deep thoughts, now was not the time to think about it.

"Would you like some cake, Lady Aria?" She snapped out of her thoughts from Lady Clementine's voice.

"Thank you, but I think I need some fresh air. Please excuse me." She excused herself before leaving the room as well.

She didn't know where her feet will take her but she continued to walk until she was far enough from the venue. Looking around, she realized she was at one of the palace's garden that was nearest to her. A warm smile grazed her lips as she admired the freshly bloomed roses that sparkled under the moonlight.

The sight of flowers had always brightened her mood. Ever since she was young, Aria was always fond of flowers so much that the gardens had became a place she'd constantly run into whenever she needed a peace of mind.

Kneeling down, she went ahead and gently touched the petals while taking in everything around her with closed eyes. The soft breeze that danced around her, the occasional chirping of birds, and the fragrant smell of the roses that welcomes her in every spring; this was her definition of safe haven.

Softly humming a melody of a song that her mother used to sing to her, it felt like all of the burdens and problems of her life momentarily disappeared. Even for at least one moment, she wanted to escape from the reality she was born in.

"I didn't knew you could sing."

Ergi's voice interrupted her line of thoughts. She turned to look at him with wide eyes, was he there the whole time?

"You were there the whole time?"

"If we didn't met before I would assume you were a beautiful fairy wondering around the gardens." He stated, standing in front of her with one hand inside his pocket.

She softly laughed. "Really now?"

He only hummed as a response, gazing upon her with an unfamiliar expression as silence enveloped the two. A peaceful silence. One that they are both surprisingly very comfortable in.

After a long moment, he faked a cough before saying. "Shall we?"

"Hm?" She looked at him confused but nevertheless accepted his outstretched hand.

Standing up, he gently guided her hand into his shoulder before putting his own around her waist, pulling her closer in the process. His other hand smoothly clasped with hers as he began to slowly sway with her, acting like there was an orchestra playing around the vicinity.