Chapter 5

With the help of Ophelia and Cordelia, Aria changed into a much more formal attire for the night. She wore a classy blue dress that resembled the sparkling ocean under the bright summer sun. It had puffed sleeves made of glittery tulle. A floral ornament was wrapped around her waist to further accentuate her figure.

She had her hair styled in a half up half down hairdo, letting its long natural locks to cascade down her back. A sky blue bow adorned it, similar to how it was during her arrival at the Imperial Palace. The formal attire greatly complemented her aquamarine eyes.

After her ladies-in-waiting double checked their lady's appearance, she headed to the grand hall where other prestigious guests that mostly came from other nations are situated.

Because of an urgent matter at the Valea duchy, Duke Arsenio was forced to leave the ceremony with a statement of arriving at the last day of the grand festivities if possible. Amaris, being the dutiful son he is, volunteered to follow his father as well. These occurrences led the remaining Valea family member to be the remaining representative of the House.

On the last night of the New Year's Celebration, a special banquet is annually held for very important guests in attendance. Since the list of members continuously changes every year, a dinner is held the previous night to be familiarized with one another.

However, due to the previous series of events, Aria had a slight tingling feeling that something odd may come up during the dinner. But even so, she put those pessimistic thoughts aside as she walked with graceful steps toward the entrance. Guards that were standing on the side made a move to open it for the noble lady, revealing the long mahogany table filled with all sorts of food as high ranking guests occupied the chairs around it.

"Lady Aria! Please take a seat next to me!" A bright smile reached her face at the voice of the ever so cheerful Princess of the Southern Empire, the place she had visited not too long ago.

"How have you been? Had the herbal tea lessen the pain of your migraine?" Princess Circe queried with concern as Aria took a seat next to the noble's left side. "Thank you for your generosity, I'm very touched because of Your Highness' thoughtfulness."

"No problem. As soon as I heard from Her Majesty of your strong liking to our chamomile tea and of your condition, I can't help but deliver a few packages to you. Good thing I brought some!" Her sweet words made Aria's heart flutter. Indeed, the Princess of the Southern Empire is as spirited as a butterfly just like what others say.

As she started to eat her meal, a peculiar man caught her attention. His smooth dark complexion made him stand out from the rest. With neat locks of hair that reminded her of the ivory snow that only appears during the last few months of the year, she was sure that the reserved man was none other than the Grand Duke Kaufman of Luipt.

The only thing most people know about the Grand Duke was that he came from Luipt, a nation from another continent. He was also an exchange student who graduated at the top of his class from the Academy of Magic in the Eastern Empire.

She was very certain that both he and the Western Prince will attract the most attention at tomorrow's banquet. One because of belonging to a nation that they knew only a few things about, and the other being at the center of attention due to the number of rumors about him.

"Oh! By the way, I heard a rumor going around that your mother came from Luipt. The same one Sir Kaufman came from. Is it true?"  Princess Circe's question brought Aria's wandering mind back to the ongoing gathering. The Southern Princess's inquiry had also piqued the interest of the mentioned Grand Duke, who looked at the Lady Valea as he waited for her answer.

Her eyes furrowed in confusion before replying. "Oh no! I'm afraid you are quite mistaken. But my mother once lived in that continent so I wouldn't say the rumor was far off." Aria corrected politely.