vii. encounters in the woods

chapter seven!•••

chapter seven!
•••

THE BELL HANGING ON THE DOOR OF THE WEATHERVANE CHIMED LOUDLY AS THE TWO GIRLS STEPPED INSIDE THE COFFEE SHOP.

"Hey." Xavier popped up from behind the counter, a uncharacteristically happy look on his face. "You guys finally went somewhere that you're allowed to be. Congratulations."

"We're looking for Tyler." Wednesday stepped up to the counter, Kamden right behind her.

Xavier's face fell, and he swallowed thickly before replying. "I told you he was bad news."

"Twice." Wednesday said. "But who I speak to is my business." She gave him one last look before reaching over and ringing the service bell on the counter obnoxiously.

"Who's Tyler?" Kamden leaned over to whisper her query in Wednesday's ear, but before she could get a reply, the boy in question stepped out from the employee's only room.

"Tyler Galpin?" Kamden scrunched up her nose at the familiar face.

"You've met?" Wednesday caught Kamden's eyes, taking in the repulsed look on her face.

"Yeah," Kamden wrapped her arms around her stomach. "He ratted me and my friends out for skipping class to go smoke behind a dumpster. When I went to Jericho High."

"Yeah, uh, sorry about that." Tyler looked sheepishly at the ground.

"I got freaking arrested!" Kamden cried. "For smoking weed! God, it was not as big of a deal as you made it seem to your dad."

Tyler squinted at her. "You were thirteen."

"Whatever." Kamden slumped against the counter, tapping her foot to try and burn off her frustration.

Xavier scoffed and moved away from the group, slipping behind the the counter. Wednesday tore her gaze off of Kamden, who was still leaning against the counter, pouting. She looked to Tyler, who sighed heavily, shaking his head to get rid of the heavy energy that hung over the room.

"You want your usual?" He asked Wednesday, a smile dancing on his lips.

Kamden peered up at the two of them from under her eyelashes. She furrowed her brow. The usual? That would mean that Wednesday had been here before, and that she had spoken to Tyler before.

Wednesday nodded briskly. "And your help."

She stepped over to the large bulletin board that was hung on the back wall of the shop, grabbing a pamphlet from on of the plastic containers. She brought it back over to a table, spreading the sheet out. She and Tyler slid into the booth, inspecting the paper closer.