xx. farewell gifts

chapter twenty!•••

chapter twenty!
•••

TWO DAYS LATER...

"Miss Palmer?" 

Kamden turned at the sound of her name, surprised to find that it was a teacher who had called her. She looked left and then right before approaching, wondering if the woman had been beckoning to somebody else.

"Yes, I'm talking to you." She chuckled to herself, as if she could read the young student's mind. "Get over here."

That's when Kamden recognized her as Mrs.Verena, who was, in fact, a mind-reader, and who also taught AP English to the middle schoolers.

"I was told to give this to you," She said, holding out a stack of papers, which Kamden took hesitantly. As she flipped through the first few, she saw that it was a packet of her schedule for next term.

"I don't understand," Kamden shook her head. "I thought I had been expelled."

"I think Weems would've wanted you to get a second chance." Mrs. Verena smiled.

Kamden felt her heart ache slightly at the mention of the late headmistress, so she shut her mouth and started folding the packet up nicely.

"Wednesday Addams is right up there."

Kamden paused. "Excuse me?"

"Sorry, I really shouldn't do that to students, but..." She shrugged gleefully. "I just feel like I should answer your thoughts." She pointed just past Kamden's shoulder, up the staircase that split the main entryway right in half.

Kamden turned, spotting Wednesday standing on the second floor, looking down at her. She hoped that Mrs. Verena couldn't read the way that her heart softened in her chest at the sight of her.

"Thank you," Kamden smiled politely, grabbing her heavy suitcase and starting towards the stairs.

"Surprisingly, they're letting us come back." Wednesday spoke before Kamden had fully reached her.

"I guess so." Kamden gestured to the packet of pages in her hand. "But I have to disagree with the reasoning. Weems would absolutely not want us to come back."

"Absolutely not." Wednesday agreed. "However much I hate to admit it though, I would miss this place if we had actually been sent home."

By now Kamden had reached the top of the stairs, and she left her suitcase and new schedule by the railing to approach Wednesday with her full attention. "Don't you go all sappy on me, Addams."

Wednesday pulled a face. "Never."

"Good." Kamden smiled at the floor.

There was a moment of silence that hung over them, and it was the kind of quiet that so many words lingered behind, without any of them being brought to life.