ix. tinted lip balm

chapter nine!•••

chapter nine!
•••

KAMDEN HAD A LOT ON HER MIND, AND A STUPID SCHOOL DANCE HADN'T EVEN BEEN ON HER RADAR.

At least, not until her roommate, Sahana, asked her if she were going to the event with anybody when she returned from class that day.

Only one, specific, raven-haired girl had crossed her mind, but Kamden chose to shake her head and say that dances weren't her thing.

After wishing Sahana good luck with her dress shopping, Kamden was left alone in the dorm room, trying to find a way to entertain herself.

She hadn't spoken to Wednesday since the previous night, and she hadn't seen her around the school that day, and she was fighting the urge to become worried.

She settled on retouching her makeup to keep her mind off of things, sitting down at the girls' shared makeup vanity, staring down at all the products spread out before her. She reapplied her blush, painted on a fresh coat of mascara, and swiped on a touch of a red-tinted chapstick.

Staring into the mirror, she took in her every feature. From her plentiful freckles to her sky blue eyes, all the way down to the way that the left corner of her lip sat slightly higher than the right.

Kamden had never been insecure, usually feeling nothing but a neutral numbness whenever she saw herself in the mirror. She never thought she were especially pretty either, even after layers of makeup.

Since meeting Wednesday, however, she found herself starting to care more and more about her appearance, always taking a few seconds longer to touch up her hair or makeup just before she left her dorm. It was an unfamiliar feeling, but she couldn't say it was one that she particularly disliked.

A firm knock on the door shook Kamden out of her own head, and she hurried to see who had stopped by, thinking that Sahana had probably left something behind.

But it was Wednesday that stood in the doorway, looking up at Kamden like she expected something, but all the redhead could give her was a entranced smile.

"Hey," Kamden finally found her voice. "I haven't seen you in a while, I was about to get worried."

Wednesday stepped into the room without a proper invitation, but Kamden didn't mind. She just shut the door softly behind her, watching the shorter girl drift around the room, taking in her surroundings.

"You worry to much." Wednesday informed her. "I can take care of myself."

"Yeah, I know that." Kamden chewed on her lip, unsure what to do with the butterflies that were having a field day inside her chest.

"I think I know who the monster is."

Kamden fought a smile, fond of Wednesday's one track mind, how she became so focused on a specific task that nothing else mattered in the whole world.