ii. a busted water pipe

chapter two!•••

chapter two!
•••

KAMDEN KNEW BETTER THAN TO SNEAK AROUND A SCHOOL FULL OF SHORT-TEMPERED, ANGSTY, TEENAGE OUTCASTS.

And yet, there she was, creeping around the dim hallways, having figured that the only way to catch somebody who snuck around was to do a little sneaking of her own.

Turning down another hall, Kamden finally spotted the shorter, raven-haired girl with the twin braids, who was also creeping around like she were doing something she shouldn't.

"Did you find your book?" She called out, smirking to herself at the thought of surprising Wednesday. But, of course, the gloomy girl simply turned around, straight-faced and unfazed.

"What are you doing here?" Wednesday began to approach Kamden, swiftly closing the space between them.

"I figured you had to be down one of these hallways." She replied, shifting on her feet uncomfortably under Wednesday's piercing glare. She began to wonder why she even felt like she had wanted to see the curious new student.

Wednesday raised her eyebrow ever so slightly. "So, you were looking for me?"

"Yeah," Kamden shrugged. "I mean, you kind of just disappeared after our chat last night. I thought that was rude."

"My apologies, Kamden."

She sucked in a breath, biting down on the inside of her cheek to stop from smiling. "So, you did hear me say my name into the emptiness, huh?"

"Yes." Wednesday nodded sharply. "And it was far too intriging of a name to forget."

"Thanks...I think." Kamden shook her head, amused. "Anyways, now you know why I'm here. So, why are you here?"

"I'm still looking for that book." Wednesday sighed, looking down the hallway, in the direction that she had been going. "I think it's in one of the dorms."

"It wasn't in the library?" Kamden crossed her arms and furrowed her brow. After earning a brisk shake of the head from Wednesday, the redhead went on, "What book is it, anyways? Maybe I've read it or at least seen it or something."

"You haven't." Wednesday said flatly. "And like I told you before, I cannot tell you what I am looking for."

"C'mon..." Kamden gave a crooked smile. "Are you sure you can't tell me? I'll keep my mouth shut if it's some sort of embarassing secret, I swear."

"Try dangerous." Wednesday started to march back in the direction that Kamden had found her, and the taller girl hurried to follow her.

"Dangerous?" Kamden questioned as they walked. "How is it dangerous?"

"How many times do I have to tell you that-" Wednesday turned around, sharply. Kamden didn't have enough time to react and the two girls bumped into each other, face to face.