Twenty Three:

“I don’t think i could look at another cookie or piece of cake.” I said rubbing my stomach. I had over eaten at dinner and dessert, even though I told myself that I wasn’t going to do that.

“That’s not good because you work at a bakery.”

“shut up.” I said throwing a piece of the cake at him. 

“Gracey don’t throw food at Harry. You will make a mess!” My mom scolded me. Harry pointed at me and laughed.

“Eff you.” I mouthed. I was sitting with my feet on Harry’s lap watching my uncles all play some kind of card game. 

“Harry boy, why don’t you join us?” My father said to Harry.

“I’m sure you have 5 dollars to spare in a game of cards.” Said one of my uncles, there was 5 of them. My dad had a large family.

“What are you playing?” He asked seeming interested.

“Texas Hold ‘Em.” He said.

“I’ll just go get my wallet, and I’ll play.” I knew this was going to be bad news. He started off towards my room.

“If you guys try and scam him out of money I will personally harm all of you.” I warned my uncles who just laughed. Then I went to go find Harry. He was going through his wallet to take out money, when I found him. I quickly snatched it out of his hand.

“What are you doing?”

“Protecting you.” I said taking the cash out of his wallet. He had nearly $1,000 in it. “You don’t need all this here! Why do you have?” I asked.

“Just incase. But what’s the big deal?” He asked trying to take his wallet back, but I refused to give it to him.

“My uncles are going to try and scam you of your money.”

“So? I have plenty of it.” He said and I look at him disgusted.

“Fine. Lose it all.” I said throwing the wallet back at him and marched down the stairs. 

“The boy coming?” My dad asked.

“yes, And guys take his money.” I said sitting down  near the table to watch. Harry came down the stairs  with is wallet in his hand. I just rolled my eyes and watched as he sat down next to my dad. This was going to be interesting.

***

“Harry boy, give it another go.” It had been hour later and my uncles had taken half of Harry’s money. I just stood back and watched. I knew I was right. My uncles and my dad were expert card players.

“I can’t.” He said getting up from the table. It was nearly 10:30 and my aunts wanted to go home.

“Why not boy?”

“I shouldn’t have played his much in the beginning.” He said looking at me, I knew he was sorry.

“You’re going to listen to your women? Men rule the relationship.” My uncle said.

“Robert! Get up, we need to get home.” My aunt and his wife said. Uncle Rob did what he was told and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“We should all get going.” My uncle said getting up from the table.

“It has been a pleasure meeting you Harry.” Another uncle said shaking Harry’s hand.

“It was good to meet you too.” He said.

After everyone had left and the tables were all cleaned. I finally retreated up to my bedroom and flopped onto the bed. Harry soon trailed in behind me.

“I’m sorry.” He said sitting on the edge of my bed.

“I warned you.” I said looking over at him.

“Yeah I know but I didn’t listen and I should have.”

“My uncles are competitive and they like hustling people.”

“I can tell, I never lost so much money in such a short period of time.” He said.

“Don’t worry you have plenty of it.” I said a little bit annoyed.

“You know I didn’t mean it like that” He said pulling me into a hug, I tried to protest but I was too tired.

“Yeah well it was just kind of annoying.”

“I get it, you don’t like the idea of me being rich.” He said.

“It’s not all that bad.” I said smiling, I couldn’t help it.

“I thought you don’t like being spoiled?”

“I don’t.”

“Then what?”

“You have a nice house. I like having a nice big bed.”

“so you’re using me for my house?” He joked.

“I thought it was obvious.” I laughed and Harry pushed me in a joking way.

“Fine then I don’t think I should give you this.” He said pulling a box out of his hands.

“Why? No. Harry. I don’t want it.” I said.

“Well you’re going to keep it.” He said opening it in front of me. Inside was a gold necklace. It had an H engraved into it and there were little diamonds around it.

“It’s.” I said speechless. It was really nice and really pretty. And probably really expensive.

“It’s yours.” He said.

“But Harry.” I tried protesting but he put it on my neck.

“I have a matching one.” He said pulling a similar necklace out. It was similar except his didn’t the diamonds. And there was a G engraved into it.

“This is really nice, but I can’t take it. It was probably too...” I was cut off my harry placing his lips onto mine. It shut me up, that’s for sure.

“Can you just accept it?” he asked pulling away. I nodded my head and got into my blankets.

“I love you.” He whispered into my ear before going onto the floor.

“I love you too.” I whispered back. I began staring at the chain on my neck. It was really something.