Chapter Fourteen

"I think we can change tempo again for these couple of measures, then speed it back up for the rest of the chorus," Daisuke suggested while pointing to the instrumental tracks on the laptop. "Same time signature, but let's cut the beats in half. We can adjust the bass and cut a few notes to accommodate."

     Yasuo tapped away at his laptop for a few seconds, then replayed the chorus with the new adjustments. They both bopped their heads along while looking at each other, seeing how they both felt about the change. As the beat suddenly slowed down, Yasuo began to smirk. After a couple of loops, the producer paused the beat and leaned back in his chair.

     "Yeah, that works great," he complimented.

     "It's still not quite what I had in mind though," Daisuke replied with a sigh. "Let me see... okay, let's add two extra quick kicks to both measures, just before the last ones. Have the bass match it."

     "Can do," Yasuo said, following his instructions once more.

     Today was the second day in the studio. So far, they had managed to create drum and bass tracks for the intro part, the first verse, and the bridge; they were currently on their seventh hour as they continued to work on the chorus. No melodies had been created yet, as that would come along further down the line. Daisuke, however, had already come up with a few in his head, and he would be sure add them when the time came.

     "Okay, let's try it again," Yasuo spoke up while hovering his mouse of the play button. "Playing in three... two..."

     The song began playing once more. The two listened closely to the drum and bass tracks as the tempo changed, both smiling wide while moving their heads to the beat. Daisuke stood up and shifted over to the keyboard as the beat played on a loop, and began playing one of the melodies he had thought up. Though it wasn't the exact sound he was looking for, this was only to help give Yasuo an idea of what he wanted later on.

     He began to sing along with the lyrics he wrote, keeping in tune with the music that played as he pressed the keys in front of him. The producer looked astonished; he never had the chance to hear him sing up until this point, and he was very pleasantly surprised by his voice. He suddenly looked over to the door behind them, seeing Akali step inside with bags of food for the three to have. She dropped the bags onto the couch next to the door and paused as she listened to the track. 

     The rapper was quick to notice her boyfriend singing along while playing the melody on the keyboard. She smiled as she began to move her body and dance along, making her way over to him as she did so. Daisuke stopped playing and laughed as he suddenly felt a weight on his back, and turned his head to see Akali was holding onto him as she jumped to the beat.

     "Dude! You have a hell of a voice," Yasuo complimented as he stopped the song. "And that melody..."

     "You came up with that?" Akali asked, her eyes wide with excitement.

     "It's kind of been on my mind for awhile, honestly," the singer answered while rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. "Thing is, it's supposed to have a different tone to it, but I can't do that on my own."

     "Say less," the producer immediately spoke up. "I'll work on that while you're visiting Nagoya for the weekend, and I can show you what I've come up with when you come back."

     Akali let go of Daisuke and walked back over to the couch, lifting the bags of food and bringing them back.

     "Which reminds me, we gotta go soon, Daisuke," she spoke up while walking back towards the two. "We still gotta pack and then get up early to drive over tomorrow."