Chapter 1 - First day

I was in my room waiting for my ride. I had a soccer game that day and my carpool was supposed to be picking me up in about 10 minutes. I heard the phone ring, I went to grab it but before I could my mom picked it up. My mom's name was Rachel Mills. My name was Raelyn P. Mills. it was raining out, no thunder just rain. 

"Raelyn, come here." My mom called from downstairs. It was just the two of us. When my mom got pregnant with me my dad didn't know, she never told him. Sometimes I wonder what he was like, and if my mom would have told him about me if he would be here. 

"Coming!" I said. 

I ran down the stairs.

"Yeah?" I asked her.

"The game got rained out." She told me. 

I headed back upstairs to my room. 

It was Sunday, school was starting tomorrow after summer break and I had just moved here, over the summer. I was going to attend a semi private school in Brooklyn; it was about five blocks from my house.

I woke up the next morning and got ready for school- I put my uniform on and grabbed my bag. I headed to school. 

"Bye sweetie, have fun at school."My mom said giving me a one armed hug.

"Be careful." she said, kissing my forehead.

We had recently moved to Brooklyn and my mom was paranoid that New York had a lot of muggers and such. We lived in Michigan before but had to move for some reason. I wasn't allowed to say goodbye to any of my friends and I wasn't allowed to talk to them.

I walked out the door, and headed to school.

When I got to school everyone was outside, talking and laughing, welcoming everyone back. There were big tall fences all around the school and in the entrance there was a teacher with some sort of scanner. 

"Card." the teacher said holding the scanner up ad his hand out, 

"Pardon," I said confused. 

"Where is your card?" He said again. 

"Your student Card." he said.

"Oh my student card, it's right here." I said embarrassed, giving him the card. he scanned it and let me in. 

The bell rang and everyone headed to the auditorium. 

We were assigned our class schedules and everyone had a day buddy. 

Our day buddies were in all the same classes and grades as us so we wouldn't get lost if we stuck together.

"Hi I'm Claire." the girl said, she had blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Hi I'm Raelyn." I said shaking her hand. We didn't look alike, I had brown hair and grey eyes, my hair was wavy, and hers was strait.

"So our first class science." Claire said. 

We walked to science class which was on the 3rd floor. 

"I like your outfit." I said, she was wearing the same outfit as me.

"Thanks, I like- that guys outfit." she said, pointing to a random guy with the same outfit.

We both started laughing.

"So, what's your story?" I asked her, assuming that we would be good friends. We seemed to get along well.

"I used to go to some school in Manhattan but I moved to this one this year. I live with both of my adoptive parents their son; Lyle. My mom has this little show dog, that she loves... that's pretty much it, what about you?" She asked.

"I recently moved to Brooklyn, I live with my mom, never knew my dad." I said, realizing that my life wasn't very interesting. I felt like asking her who her real parents were but I don't think she even knew for herself yet.

We talked until we got to class. After the last class Claire got on the bus and I started to walk home.

I put my headphones on and started walking.