Chapter 128: Rising Dragons

Start from the beginning

"Yes, Mister President. After the 31st MEU successfully defeated the hostile forces besieging Esperanto, they managed to secure numerous POWs who were apparently being mind-controlled by a magical artifact."

Lee tilted his head back, "Ah, yes I remember now. General Bahara and his obsidian knights, huh?"

Heiden nodded, "Yes. We've finally come to an agreement with their people and have decided to open a diplomatic channel under peaceful terms. The Esperantoans have also expressed a willingness to make contact, despite their history, and will be sending a delegation to tag along with ours. The mission to the Oni nation of Heiskanen is scheduled..."

While Heiden continued to elaborate on the State Department's plan to make contact with the Oni, an aide walked up to Secretary of Defense Robert Hill and whispered into his ear. President Lee noticed Hill's face twist in confusion, and then frustration before becoming dead serious.

"Is something wrong, Robert?" Lee asked.

Hill frowned, as if a grave complication had just fallen upon him. "Satellites just picked up something concerning in the northern regions of the Holy Mirishial Empire, between its border with the Eimor Kingdom."

Thoughts ran through Lee's mind as he quickly sifted through the possible calamities that might've just occurred. Could the Gra Valkans have somehow broken through Mirishial defenses? Did the Mirishials summon a new superweapon more powerful than the alien Pal Chimera? Eager to satisfy his curiosity, he asked, "What happened?"

"A flight of three immense dragons – close to 700 feet in length each – are currently flying over Runepolis on a heading toward the Artticus Ocean, likely toward Hytal Base. Here are the images from the satellite," Hill said, pulling up the pictures on his tablet and sharing them to the screens around the room.

Lee's eyes drifted toward the screen behind him. The dragons that Hill mentioned were indeed massive, especially when compared to the towns and cities beneath them. Clad in all-black scales, these beasts were like typical dragons from popular fiction, although far larger. "Well I'll be," Lee said, mouth agape as he approached the screen to get a closer look. His mouth contorted into a nervous smile, expressing his incredulity over the existence of these creatures. "I'm not surprised there are dragons, but man..."

A series of 'wow's and 'woah's spread out throughout the room as everyone processed the fantastical depiction on the screens. They wore a varied mix of expressions, from amusement to concern – some were even outright fearful.

"If these things are anything like Ghidora, we're fucked," someone said.

It was a valid point, Lee silently agreed. However, logic dictated that these things might not be as powerful as they seem, especially in light of their recent success against monsters like the Aji Dhaka and demons like Nosgorath. "Dismissing his subordinates' worries, he immediately focused on the here and now. "Are they hostile?" Lee asked.

Hill shrugged, "Most likely not. The dragons passed over the towns below peacefully, and there has been no indication of a Mirishial attempt to intercept. The Pal Chimerae under their command haven't reacted either and are maintaining their positions."

"Hmm..." Lee wondered. "A seasonal migration?"

"Perhaps the Mirishials themselves have some answers", Heiden said as he tapped into a Mirishial News Network broadcast on one of the mounted screens.

The broadcast flared to life, with the famed MNN reporter Alana Forlen on screen, clad in her iconic red dress and standing in Runepolis Harbor. She spoke over the delicate hum of a Pal Chimera in the background and cheers from local citizens, "... finally decided to adopt a more serious course of action to deal with the Gra Valkas Empire. In light of the recent losses in Otaheit, Mykal, and Hytal Base, the Eimor Kingdom has deployed three of their Plasma Dragons, also known to some as 'Lightning Flame Dragons'. They are also contributing more Flame and Wind Dragons to the war effort – enough to shake the Gra Valkans' grip over the skies."