Chapter 10

I stretched my aching muscles before dutifully donning my uniform. The healing wraps did a good job in stopping inflammation and healing my cuts and bruises but my eye and nose still needed a little bit of rest and recovery that I didn't have time for. I've been in bed for nearly 24 hours. I don't need people thinking I'm fragile or something nor do I need time for what happened between me and Marcus in the river to keep replaying in my mind. I still can't believe that I let that happen and no matter how many times I tried to get it out of my head, the feeling of him on my skin persisted. It was like a stain I couldn't get off. Like I was branded with him.

Even when I finally was able to get past that neediness and go back to sleep I dreamed of that stupid kiss!

I resisted the urge to let out a frustrated grunt into the cold air. I just need to move around and continue on with finding a way to execute my plan on getting the hell out of here and back to my mother before it is too late. Before I lose my fucking mind!

When I walked out of the medical tent everyone was at the ration station getting their lunch. They were already in their perspective groups, lingering and visiting each other. I ignored them all and went to the station to grab something, my stomach growling in neglect from my lack of eating yesterday. I felt when everyone's eyes turned to me and I didn't care. I know I still looked busted up but that doesn't mean I'm going to hide all day until my injuries heal. I'll wear these scars with pride and they will show when I come back to kill them all as a reminder as what they watched go down.

After collecting my food I immediately turned to find a secluded place to eat. The soldiers that were behind me fanned out tremendously, leaving enough room for a cart and a group of horses to pass through. I just watched them incredulously.

So that's overreacting.

"They fear you."

I turned to the voice to see an olive toned, dark haired, brown eyed girl. She had her lunch in one hand while the other was on her weapon at her side.

I cocked an eyebrow at her and she laughed.

"Don't flatter yourself." She huffed and walked away with a confident slow gate to an empty fire pit. I took it upon myself to follow her. Wasn't like anyone else wanted me around them anyway and she openly talked to me while everyone looked. I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

"Talking to you wasn't an invitation." She sighed as she sat on one of the thick logs. I sat on the one right across from her.

"I'm aware. I just..." I trailed off, the anguish in me settling again. I'm just massively alone and as much as I hate to admit it, being disliked by everyone is starting to take a toll on me very quickly. It's tiring not caring and being ruthless and it's tiring having everyone's eyes on me. The constant stares of disgust and wariness. The constant whispers. It's beating my morale down and making me a bit paranoid, especially after what happened between me and Shahid. What if another soldier asked me to fight? After thinking about this more, I wouldn't be able to accept the duel like I want to spite Freman. I might end up killing them and I don't want to be thrown back in that lab. My plan will be foiled and I will NEVER see my mother again. Reed will make sure of it.

"Lonely?" She asked me, reading my mind almost to a T. I ducked my head as I went to break a bit of my bread to dunk into my milk, not answering her and leaving her to her own assumptions. Even though I am kind of finding myself wanting a bit of companionship, I still can't pull myself to trust anyone. Not here. I need to stick to my plan to get out of here. We ate in a comfortable silence for a while and it wasn't until we were done that we acknowledged each other again.

"I'm Yajaira." She finally introduced herself. She wiped her hands on her uniform before holding one out to me.

"Red." I responded as I took her hand and she smirked.