Kirby showed the paper to Tuff, who winced when Kirby wanted him as a teammate.

"Sorry," he gently explained, "I already have a teammate for the event."

He went over to Tiff, who responded with, "I don't do sports."

Disappointed, he racked his brain, trying to figure out who else could join him. 

=====

*Theme Song Plays*

=====

In the castle, Dedede just exited from the basement after another, somewhat haunting conversation with Zero. Every conversation was haunting, even from the very start, yet he didn't steer the king wrong (except for the Fire Kirby incident). 

While deep in thought, Escargoon approached him. "Sire, where have you been-" he paused, noticing him in a cold sweat, "Are you feeling alright, Dedede?"

"Oh, who? Me?" The king blurt out a bit too loud, "I'm fit as a fiddle! Nothing wrong here! Heh HAH heheheh..."

"Sire, you really need to lie down. The last thing people want to hear is that their king is a little kooky."

Just as he finished that line, they heard a waddle dee's retreating footsteps. The two of them looked to the right and saw a glimpse of orange. Running around the corner that it hid behind, they saw Bandana Dee, talking to Kirby. This filled Dedede up with dread.

He might know. We may have to silence him.

"L-Let's go check." De-Dedede stammered.

Escargoon, thinking that the king was talking to him, followed along. When they got closer, they realized that what the two orbs were talking about had not even the slightest hint of treason.

"Yes, she is my sister." Bandana Dee seemed to explain, "Me and her are already entered as teammates, so I'm afraid that I can't join you this time.

Kirby slumped in disappointment, then saw Dedede and held up the poster excitedly. Escargoon stood between the two.

"Now, hold on, you pink puffball. The king has a fever and chills, so he might not be well enough by the time this event happens. Sorry, but he can't be your teammate." The snail explained in vivid detail, "In addition, I must stay and take care of him. So, I can't either."

Kirby, defeated, walked away.

=====

The pink protagonist didn't stop, he still had a glimmer of hope that someone would be his teammate. He just couldn't find one before stopping at Kawasaki's for lunch. As Kirby ate, his eyes darted around, looking for people who would want to be his teammate. He unfolded the poster that he'd been showing to his potential friends. On the top of the page, the "Doubles" word stung a little bit.

"Flagball? I've been wanting to try that!"

Kirby looked behind his seat and saw a head peeking over. This head was a bit chubby, with pointy ears, blonde hair, and a white headband. The head's words rang perfectly with Kirby's goal. Jumping, he showed the poster to the head, gesturing near the top. A white boxing glove grabbed it, holding it up for the head to read.

"You wanna be partners? I'm in!"

The head and hand jumped out to reveal the whole, blue body of his figure. He scratched a spot under his nose and exclaimed, "I'm Knuckle Joe! What's your name?"

"Kirby!"

"Well Kirby, are you ready to win this thing?"

"Poyah!"